New babies!!

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by strawn28, Jul 27, 2017.

1. strawn28

strawn28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2015
    Illinois
    so we had a peahen hatch her own eggs(never had this happen) she is in pen with just father and juvenile. Is she good to raise them herself? They look great just nervous to make sure the thrive
    Thanks

2. HenOnAJuneBug

HenOnAJuneBug Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2015
    I was nervous too. I've learned that mama takes care of everything. Just make sure that there's food and water close to the chicks.

One just hatched here 2 days ago and mama already has it outside.

3. Argus

Argus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2015
    Northeast Ohio
    If it gets cold pen them in, they aren't the best moms and will have them out in the dewy grass. Don't be surprised if she has them out in the rain either. They can usually keep one alive but more than that is risky. Hope she's a great mom and they all grow up to be beautiful birds for you.

4. strawn28

Jun 4, 2015
    Illinois
    So far she has had them out but tucks them all in at night. And throws fit if we are out there she calls them away. So just leave them with her. Was gonna put food in corner where she tucks them in.

5. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

I let my hens set the last eggs of the year and more times than not the cocks will help feed and raise the young.

IMG_1781.JPG IMG_1783.JPG

6. strawn28

Jun 4, 2015
    Illinois
    Well that's exciting our male (Gus) seems well suited for father hood he paces the pen and hollers at us too if we are too close in his opinion. When would be big enough to pull away from her?

7. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

Why remove them? The hen will take care of them for a long time. IMG_0505 (2).JPG

8. strawn28

Jun 4, 2015
    Illinois
    Oh perfect I had always heard they are bad Mothers so I didn't know when I'd have to step in but If she will do it all. That's even better.

9. strawn28

Jun 4, 2015
    Illinois
    So I've seen mixed answers do I need to add medication to their water or leave them? Mama is taking care of them and they are not handled but out in grass.

10. chickenE

chickenE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2017
    Cary, NC
    Cute babies and mama!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by