1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

new babies

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by poupoule, Oct 18, 2009.

1. poupoule

poupoule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    Hi everyone,

I went down the coop to feed my chicken, when what a surprise, I can heard chipping! I looked in the box where my bantam has been sitting for almost 3 weeks now (I was expecting hatching time towards the end of the week), and there there is a tiny yellow ball, so cute!!! I am sooooo excited. [​IMG] They are my first babies. The bantam is sitting on 12 eggs and 1 just hatched!

Now what should I do? In the coop, there is the rooster, 2 silkies and a young Australop (very big compared to the other hens). Mama bantam is (or was) the top hens. Should I separate a portion of the coop for her and her babies to protect them from the others? Or can they all stay together? I bought yesterday some chick starter. When do I need to give them some? Do you think they can drink from a rabbit drink bottle?

I would appreciate any help as this is my first time ever with chicks. Thanks

Poupoule

PS I am in Australia so being cold is not a issue for them.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Congrats!!!!!!!

If she's top hen, I suspect the others won't bother her, I'd just watch real close. (I have no experience with a broody though)

3. poupoule

poupoule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    I just saw an other one! It looks just like its mum!!!!! [​IMG]

4. BirdMom

BirdMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    That's so exciting! I have not had a broody hatch any yet, hoping some of ours will next year, but we've hatched them in the incubator, and seeing each new one pop out, dry off, and seeing what it looks like is just sooo thrilling! Grown men visiting us during hatches have gone all googly over the teeny new chicks.

Enjoy this amazing sight, and send pics if and when you can.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    G'Day and congrats!

Good on ya!

6. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

since she is the top hen, i don't think any would dare enough to disturb her and the babies. except the roo perhaps.

congratulation. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by