New Babies!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChickenMomof7, Jun 13, 2008.

1. ChickenMomof7

ChickenMomof7 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2008
    My babies arrived yesterday, safe and sound! Boy were they peeping at the post office, but with some water and warmth, they soon quieted down. An hour or so later I added feed and they seem very content...made it through the night in grand fashion!

I have been waiting and waiting for my first flock...40 years! So this is a happy time! My kids and hubby are all smiles, too!

Thanks to everyone who posts information and advice. I've been reading this site for more than a year. :)

2. RobinEgg

RobinEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    congrats! have fun you'll enjoy them and be forwarned they are addicting.

3. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Congrats on your babies! I waited for a long time for mine as well. It is such a rewarding experience for me. I am at the time in my life when I can finally take a little time for me, and I chose chickens!! My family thinks I am nuts, and they may be right, but I love it!

Thanks for joining us . I love it here and you will too! Keep us posted on how everything is going.

4. jandmeg07

jandmeg07 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    Cheboygan, MI
    Congratulations!! They are so much fun![​IMG]

5. smpezzi

smpezzi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2008
    Mid-Michigan
    Congrats! Enjoy every minute you will be amazed how fast they grow! What kind did you get?

6. ChickenMomof7

Jun 7, 2008
    I have a variety including one or two of each...buff orpington, silver-laced Wyandotte, Barred Rock, Rhode Island Red, Leghorn, Americauna, Black Australorp, and some broilers.

I have another question, perhaps someone can help me out. I would like to know when I can change to pine shavings in my brooder boxes. I also have 8 guinea keets that are the same age as my chicks (5 days old).

Thanks for all of the help and encouragement!

7. heritagebirds

heritagebirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Eastern Shore MD
    congrats!!!!! I love the hatching part at this point, haven't gotten any chicks in the mail, just eggs. They must be resilient little buggers...

8. ChickenMomof7

Jun 7, 2008
    They arrived safe and sound and peeping up a storm! My (I'm new at this...DH is dear hubby?) hubby just built me a 3 compartment brooder. It's 8' long and 2' wide with a 4' section for the broilers, and 2' each for the hens and guinea keets. It sure is a lot better than the boxes I started with. I think he's been pretty great about all of my chick adventures!

Maybe next year I'll be hatching my own. Right now, I've got enough to learn LOL!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by