New babies!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chickenaddict, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I saw an ad in the local paper for some unique cochin banties alll black with a deep burgundy red around their neck. The lady who was breeding them told me they were brown black cochins which i have never heard of or seen in any hatchery catalogs and that they were show quality (not that i care if they are or not). So i took a trip to her place to check them out. I saw the parents who were just gorgeous so i immediately fell in love. We went to see the babies and she had 8 left, now i only have a small coop attatched to a run that is 10 ft wide by 15 ft long by 8 ft high and i let my birds free range during the day and i already have 20 chickens but some are still growing up in the garage. SO i set my eyes on these 8 babies and told the lady i only wanted 4 but she talked me into taking all 8 now i have 28 chickens. We have chicky central set up in the garage. In one stall is 2 month old partridge cochins in quarentine for 30 days... they are on week 2 now. IN the other garage we have a mama and her 5 babies who are also about a month old now. and now 8 more babies who require a heat lamp LOL ohhh the electricity bill is outrageous!! I am wondering do they have help out there for ppl like me who cant say no to more babies. I now have to build a bigger coop and another run!!!
    But you know... if i have a bad day at work i come home and sit outside with them for a few minutes and it really is theraputic so thats my excuse for this crazy chicken addiction i have:D

2. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    Congrats! Wow, that's a lot of birds. Well at least you have the summer months to figure out where they are all going to go.
    Send us pictures of the new ones, I'd like to see the color combo.

3. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I tried to take pics of them but i have a really cheap digital camera that doesnt take very good pics. Right now they are just little so they look black and white with a hint of red coming in but i will post the pic anyway. I searched the net for pics of cochins like these and i couldnt find one.... Guess they are either rare or something not sure lol.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by