New babies!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by xchairity_casex, Jan 3, 2013.

1. xchairity_casex

xchairity_casex Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    So several months ago i want looking for hand tamed pet rats from a breeder in differant colors other then black white/ albino.

could not find anything so i searched the pet stores, again nothing, contacted the shelters nearby, nothing. so i decided i was going to undertake breeding lovely PET rats on my own, i already know all about it, all about care and illnesses since ive raised rats before. and im also learning all about all natural diet as well since all my pets are fed an all natural no processed or comecially prepared diets.

so anyways, onto the good stuf ;D
    i have a double rex female and mated him with my creme/ white hooded male approx 23 days ago, once mommy turned 4 months old and weighed 10 ounces.

last night she gave birth to.....17 babies!! YEAH!!!! they are all quite large, all are healthy and happy and being fed well, mommy is getting some raw venison to help her produce lots of milk for so many babies, but so far every time i peek in they all have full tummies :)

and heres a few pics of the new arrivals, i already have 4 people waiting for same gender pairs as pets, these babies will be ready to go on Valentines day :)

anyways heres the pictures, will add to this thread as the babies grow :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Mommy is a black/ white double rex
    [​IMG]
    daddy is a creme/white smooth coated hoody
    [​IMG]

2. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Rats are awesome little pets! The most common health problems I run into with them by far is mammary tumors in the females. Nearly all rats are exposed to mycoplasma from my understanding, but rats not resistant to it is a close second. If you breed away from these things, you will be doing a really good thing. Enjoy them. :)

3. PoultryPower

PoultryPower Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2012
    Rats are such fun and smart pets, I would still keep them if they didn't smell so bad. [​IMG]

4. Daddas1Punkin

Daddas1Punkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    Ca.
    AWE!!!!!!! They are soooooo cute!

5. xchairity_casex

Feb 5, 2011
    [​IMG]

The babies are 15 days old today and the eyes are opened!
    they are chasing poor mommy aorund the cage and mommy is escaping when i open the top every chance she gets LOL!
    all 17 are still alive and doing well! i have one runty male who i keep in with mom when i take the other 16 out so he can get more food and the babies can get some time out to socialized
    and of coarse some pictures!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. PoultryPower

Mar 16, 2012
    Are you selling these guys to a pet store?

My last rat looked exactly like the white and creme daddy. Her name was Lucy.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  7. xchairity_casex

Feb 5, 2011
    no-no pet stores, these babies are pets only, no feeders ;)

8. PoultryPower

Mar 16, 2012
    Do you have some homes lined up already? It seems hard to sell them to people who you can trust.

9. xchairity_casex

Feb 5, 2011
    i have been making contacts since i decided to breed, i have 8 homes lined up so far, so right now i have 2 pairs of babies remaining

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by