New babies!

tacraig07

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 10, 2013
A couple weeks ago I asked for advice on moving a broody hen. I received excellent advice and now have babies! Now, however, I have more questions.
First how long do I leave the unhatched eggs? Then what do I do with those that remain unhatched? Do they need electrolytes? Also they are 3 days old, should I open her hutch and let the others have access to her or acclimate them later as if I purchased them? And if you think of any advice for a new 'Momma' that I may not have thought to ask please chime in!

Last edited:

Im not sure what others do ..Mine are in a tractor coop by themselves with MOM....I open the coop and my broodys takes them out when they are ready.if coop is raised off the ground some may not follow the first day she gets out. and may not follow in either.Have t ocheck them in the evening when she goes in make sure all go. .
Usually about 3 or 4 days mine have taken the babies out. she kept them away fro mthe others in a diff part of the yard but my yard is pretty big.Roos that have come over to them seem to look like they will peck one but then don't..and they are pretty fast too. Keep them out of the open as they are perfect for a hawk snack

l leave the eggs in a week or so more Once out she usually doesn go sit ontyhe ones left so most wont hatch...BUT...I had one hatch last week when the others had hatched 7- 10 days before.Dont know how it made it thru each day with no warmth from her as she was out with babies but maybe the daytime heat? But here he is ...so lightening can strike.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom