New Babies!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Meaghan, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Meaghan

Meaghan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2014
    Archer, FL
    Hi all! I've posted a few times, and we finally got our baby chicks today!

We originally ordered 27 Wyandottes (Silver, Gold, Blue/Red, and Columbian) and 18 Buff Orpingtons from McMurray Hatchery, but also picked up 12 Black Australorps at the local feed store yesterday.

When we picked up the box of chicks from the post office and got them home, we noticed the shipment days had been 3 and a half since it was postmarked, so we were concerned. Unfortunately, we lost 3 Columbians (out of 6 hens and 1 roo), 3 Silvers (out of 6 hens and 1 roo), 2 Buffs (out of 16 hens and 2 roos), and our free rare chick that McMurray sends (we think it was a Polish, it was reddish brown with fuzzy feet) right off the bat. We tried saving 4 of them that were gasping by warming them up and syringing water but it was to no avail.

Two other chicks, both Blue/Red Wyandottes (we got 6 straight run) are also weak. They were like the 4 others when they arrived, gasping and laying flat, but we got them to perk up. They are mostly just sitting with the rest of the chicks in the heat lamp rays.

Is there anything special we should do for them? I have Critical Care for rabbits/bunnies and could mix up a few syringe fulls if that might help them get back to healthy. Or perhaps mixing a bit of the starter in water and syringing it to them? They have perked up significantly and have even stood up, but we're still concerned.

The rest of them were a bit cold and thirsty, but soon perked up and starting running around the brooder box.

Pictures to come!

2. DeansMill

DeansMill Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2014
    Near Albany, NY
    Did you open the box at the Post Office?? I would contact McMurray and ask for a refund. You need to have the Postmaster sign off, I believe, that they were unhealthy when you got them (or dead). I understand weather, but the US postal service has gotten really lacksidaisical about live animal shipments...

3. Meaghan

Dec 3, 2014
    Archer, FL
    McMurray has a 48 live guarantee, so they don't have to be opened at the post office. If they die within 48 hours after delivery, they refund you. I already called and got refunded for the ones we lost. I just don't want to lose the other two that are struggling. :(

4. DeansMill

DeansMill Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2014
    Near Albany, NY
    Oh, that is good... it is so sad... this is the second time I have heard of the post office taking so long with chicks... glad you got a refund... but the PO should be held accountable.

5. Meaghan

Dec 3, 2014
    Archer, FL
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Meaghan

Dec 3, 2014
    Archer, FL
    It is sad. :( We aren't particularly concerned monetarily wise about the chicks we lost, they were only worth around $30, but rather that we lost the opportunity with them.

With our luck, we lost both Buff roos, the Silver roo, and the Columbian roo. [​IMG]Then again, with our luck, all of the Blue/Red are roos...

7. Meaghan

Dec 3, 2014
    Archer, FL
    Another Columbian got weak and died. One Blue/Red is okay, the other is still struggling.

8. Meaghan

Dec 3, 2014
    Archer, FL
    Sigh, we lost the Blue/Red that was struggling. :(

9. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    I'm so sorry. That just sucks. My chicks got delayed and clearly left out in the cold and several of them died. It was really upsetting. All you can really do is keep them warm now and use Save A Chick or something like that in their water. Hope the rest pull through!

10. Meaghan

Dec 3, 2014
    Archer, FL
    The others look pretty good, except one iffy Buff, so I hope they all pull through. I'm not sure we can use Sav-A-Chick at this point to make a difference, the rest of them have been running around and doing okay. Pecking at the water, the food, my ring, the syringe... So I'm hoping they are okay. We'll get some more chicks from the feed store this week to replace the ones we lost. They're getting in Barred Rocks, RIR, and Amerucanas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by