New baby and I have alot of questions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HeatherLynn, Sep 23, 2010.

1. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Ok, so how soon do I offer food and water? The chick is probably 4 hours old at this point.

Also its legs splay out when it tries to walk. Will this correct itself or something i will need to assist with?

I think the temp is supposed to be 98%+ for the first week or so. Still looking for where I read on temps.

Anything else I need to do to give this little one a boost? I figuered I would offer the vitamin water tomorrow.

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:Congratulations on your new baby! You should make food and water available right away. She may not be interested right away, but it will be available to her when she decides she is ready.

The temps should be between 90-95 degrees the first week. A thermometer is a useful tool, one I wouldn't be without in my brooders. You lower the temps by five degrees each week. Here's a link from the "Learning Center" (see above) that discusses brooder temps: https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-first60days.html

Here's
    a link with helpful resources on spraddle/splay leg, which you will need to assist her with: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=41693

She
    really shouldn't need vitamin water unless she was shipped to you, but it sounds like you may have hatched her, so she has all she needs at this time.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  3. GAchick

GAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Pembroke GA
    You need to have her/him a buddy, too. Chickens are social animals. Your big guys might not cozy up...

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  4. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Yea I am praying a buddy will hatch. Right now the poor thing just has a stuffed animal with it. There was another egg rocking earlier today but no action yet. At last check it had the potential to have 5 siblings so crossing fingers. I rechecked my figures though and this one is a day 20 chick so there is every chance buddies will be on the way which is why its already out and in a brooder. More worried about getting my early one settled in tonight. I did not want to have to crack open the incubator while others are trying to hatch tomorrow. I have paper towel down so hopefully that gives the poor thing some traction.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by