New baby Barred Rocks and Light Brahmas

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ArkSouthernChic, Mar 1, 2015.

1. ArkSouthernChic

ArkSouthernChic Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2015
    We had a big blessing today! some good friends of ours took in our four roosters, which was so awesome!! They will be missed! Now starting out all over again with new baby chicks we got from Tractor Supply, the Barred Rocks are one week old and the Light Brahmas are five days old, what are some tips about these breeds? and when can we be sure they are all hens?[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    Hi welcome to BYC!

Barred Plymouth rocks and Brahma's are awesome breeds. You won't be able to tell the gender of them until they fully feather out and start to develop features that only that gender has (cape, hackle, tails on a cockerel will become sickles) and you can tell the gender on a Barred Plymouth rock much easier because the comb size (Plymouth Rocks have single, Brahma's have pea combs) Brahma's are originally meant as meat birds and Plymouth Rocks are Dual purpose meaning they're good for both meat and eggs.

Good luck on your new chicks.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Congratulations, your chicks have the most beautiful little faces. Thank you for letting us see them.

4. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Aww your chicks are so adorable! You've made me want some! [​IMG] Enjoy them! They sure are cute.

5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome
    Glad you could join the flock! Lovely to hear you have found a home for your Roos. Your chicks are lovely very cute. X2 on having to wait to see what sex they are hope you have lots of girls there. Be sure to ask any questions you may have, everyone here to help and very friendly. Enjoy your chicks and BYC :frow

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. Twistedfeather has answered your questions very nicely. The first breed I ever had were Light Brahmas (about 50 years ago), and they were gentle giants. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your BRs and LBs.

7. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Welcome to BYC! Your chicks are so cute, thanks for sharing the photos. Nice to have you join us!

8. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Hello [​IMG] and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]
    So glad to have you join our community! Feel free to make yourself at home [​IMG]

9. aliciasch

aliciasch Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2015
    SW Oklahoma
    I recently got babies from atwoods but they were only labeled as straight runs. So how can I tell what breed they are?!???!! I do believe the two small ones are bantams Bcz it said on the recpeit One could be a Araucana but I'm not sure!! [​IMG]

10. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by