New baby Buff Orpingtons

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by davedavey, Sep 16, 2015.

1. davedavey

davedavey Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    washington state
    Got 14 eggs, 2 were not fertile. All the others hatched. I have only raised quail, if you don't count when I was a kid. Have some questions! How long do baby chicks need to be under a heat lamp? My quail I give around 4 weeks. They are now 2 days old. And when is the earliest you can tell the hens from the Roos? Tried the feather method on the wings but they look the same! i live in an area you can't have roosters. So need to thin them before they start to crow. Yes I know that is months off! Thanks for any help! Dave

2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Roo's crow more aorund 4 months and by then you can usually tell the real men from the ladies, though some boys are more submissive and dont show as well. And I would keep them warm/under a heat lamp for 1.5-3 months but then again most people keep them until they're fully feathered or too noisey~

3. davedavey

davedavey Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    washington state
    My hens started laying at 19 weeks in January. Within 2 weeks they were all laying. Now I am swimming in eggs. But there is always someone who will buy the eggs or I can give them to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by