1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New baby bunnies! Woot! We're bouncing with babies!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by asher, Jun 19, 2008.

1. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    I called home from my route and my husband told me the 8yr old said my best doe had babies! Woot! We'd been waiting, but I had kinda thought maybe she had not gotten pregnant after all. Son told me he thought she maybe had 3-4. She had 4 last time.

WELL, I got home, checked, double checked, triple checked...SEVEN babies! Oh my gosh!!! This is a jersey woolie, too so a LOT of babies for her! Poor thing pulled hair from the roots so she has bald spots. I bet she'll feel cooler now, though! hehe

I had planned to keep the babies, but seven is more than I can handle. I've had a waiting list for future kits, anyway so I guess we'll make a few good homes happy. They'll all be pedigreed and should be blue eyed blues.

One is teeny tiny (the one shown below in my hand) and I'm not sure it'll make it. It doesn't have the appearance of a peanut, but it is awful tiny.

They are so funny looking right now. Like a cross between a hippo and a baby mouse! [​IMG]

Mama is doing great and after these she's just gonna be a good pet, no more babies. She's a great mama, though!

[​IMG]

Squirmy popples!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  2. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Wow congrats! I can't wait to get bunnies over here! Those little guys are adorable [​IMG]

3. turnerstar31

turnerstar31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    congrats my doe just had her first litter and she only had 2 but that is good enough for me. They are a californian mix. I can;t wait until they get their fur color in.

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

OH MY GOD!!!! those are the cutest things I have ever seen!!!

5. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    So cute! Hope the little one makes it too!

6. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    So under your name it should say "Overrun with Bunnies"

7. asher

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Thank you! Now to think of seven blue names for their pedigrees! hehe

I only have five bunnies other than these kits. 4 blue eyed blues and a blue eyed black, all jersey woolies. They are sooo sweet!

(BTW, I know a lot of breeders discourage touching kits, but I do it from birth to make them tamer and this mama is fantastic with her. I'm going to be sad to retire her as a mama, but I think after this litter she will just be a pet. She's a great mama though. I hope her daughters will make as good of mamas if we decide to ever get kits from them in the future. The funny thing is, I really only thought I'd get a few (maybe 4 at the most) and had planned to keep all of them. hehe Not gonna happen now!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  8. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    I am totally ignorant about useful bunny breeds. What are woolies used for? I would guess for fiber but I have no clue really:D They really do look like a cross between a baby hippo and a baby mouse!!!! Congrats!!!!

9. asher

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Yes, people can brush their hair and use it for that. I actually bought mine original pair from a lady locally that uses them for show (like we do chickens! hehe) and then I bought the blue eyed black from her to go with the blue eyed blue doe babies that this mama gave us. :)

They're just pets for us, though. :) The kids may show them at some point, but since I work every Saturday right now, I'm not sure when that would be possible.

10. penelope77

penelope77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    northeast oklahoma
    very nice! i'm waiting on two litters myself. so exciting! be sure and post pics as they grow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by