1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New baby chick, broody mom... one crushed chick :(

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Yoder Farm, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Yoder Farm

Yoder Farm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    Bishop, VA
    We finally have our first baby chick, it hatched today successfully. There had been two eggs in the box. The first egg got "crushed" or trampled, we're not sure by which chicken or why.

The second egg... when it started hatching we brought it into the house and carefully watched it and kept it warm. When it got to being nearly hatched we placed it back in the nest with just the broody hen, and barred the other chickens from coming up in the nest. The broody hen seems to have bonded with the baby. She seems to be "scent marking" it (she will rub a gland near her tail and then gently nuzzle the chick) and keeps it tucked under her belly.

We have 3 other hens and a rooster.

Should I be concerned for the baby chick tonight? Will the rooster or other chickens try to kill it?

2. flocksalot

flocksalot Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Poynette WI
    Quote:If you have a place to seperate your broody and her chic I definantely would. I always separate them as the other hens can get jealous and harm the chick. I separate the broody when she starts to set. They like the privacy and it's safer for all.

3. Karens62

Karens62 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2010
    Marion, NC
    I just had a chick trampled to death by one of the other hens. There are still eggs mama is sitting on so I stole her chicks and brought them into the house. Now to set up a brooder. This was NOT my plan for the evening [​IMG]

4. Yoder Farm

Yoder Farm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    Bishop, VA
    Thanks all [​IMG] We separated Blacktail (the mama) and her baby, hoping that all goes well tonight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by