1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New baby chick, feathers not fluffing, need advice!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chefdkluke, Oct 28, 2010.

1. chefdkluke

chefdkluke Out Of The Brooder

Had one baby hatch yesterday morning and the feathers on it's back look like they have "hair gel" on them so they won't fluff. What can I do to get them clean? It's so little I don't want to hurt it, but I'm afraid they won't fluff out if I don't help...

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

It will take a few days for the gunk to be preened away, by the chick. If you absolutely cannot handle the wait, you CAN wash it with very warm water, holding it very carefully in your hand under a low flow from the sink or bathroom faucet. Keep its head out of the water, and with one finger, sort of "shampoo" the feathers without any soap, just use the warm water.

Then towel dry the chick and put it either back into the incubator or directly under the brooder lamp to dry out. (I recommend the incubator, if yours is a forced air type with a fan.)

3. Celiandy

Celiandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2010
    Port Angeles
    I let it dry, then gently brush it with an old toothbrush. It breaks up the gunk. I found washing it was a bummer, the chicks all wet and miserable and I usually have to do it a few times to get it off. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by