1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New baby Chick has curled Feet!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bkbingham, Dec 22, 2008.

1. bkbingham

bkbingham Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2008
    Bunkerville, NV
    I have a baby chic that hatched today and his feet are curled up and he walks aroung on the back side of feet..Is there something i can do?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

You can make little foot shaped cut outs and tape his feet to them. If his legs go to the sides, you can also tape his legs to the correct width. Might try searching "splayed legs" and see if you can't find some pics.

3. xke4

xke4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2007
    Get out the Band-Aids. Cut the sticky ends off the Telfa pad. Put one sticky pad down,sticky side up and place the foot with toes extended on it. Put the other sticky pad down, sticky side down on top of this to make a "Foot Sandwich". Keep this on for at least 24 hours. Usually this is enough time for the feet to adhere to their new position but if need be, do it for another day. The pads are enough. No need for cardboard or pieces of margarine lids. Good Luck.

1 person likes this.
  4. peeplessinNC

peeplessinNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2008
    NC Piedmont
    You chicken people are amazing what you come up with! I am humbled in your midst.
    [​IMG]

5. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Quote:Keep reading BYC for a while and eventually you'll be able to help others who are stumped by these types of problems!

6. bkbingham

bkbingham Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2008
    Bunkerville, NV
    Bandaid Worked....Chic also had problem keeping legs together...legs wanted to do splits all the time so I trimmed a bandaid and put on sticky end on one leg and put the other end on the other leg which kept them together and now the chic is doing great..feet are straight and he walks around good. You cant even tell he had a problem he runs around with the other chics and even now seems to be the dominant chic... Funny cause when he couldn't walk right, he was constantly getting pecked at...So i had to separate him until his feet got better.

Thanks for all the help!!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  7. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Glad to hear its amazing what a little piece of tape or a bandaid can fix.

8. xke4

xke4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2007
    I am so glad you had success. I have never had it fail!

9. pddtovar

pddtovar New Egg

Jul 9, 2011
    You all rock! thank you from me and my chick!!!

10. Cindi1972

Cindi1972 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2015
    Wenham
    I am going to try this method this morning. Any advice on the redness from overnight on his leg probably from dragging it or hopping around on it? chick just hatched yesterday. Thanks in advance. It just looks a little raw.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by