New baby chick help

Sara S

Crossing the Road
May 13, 2020
FL
Oml it’s been awhile since I’ve been here, but anyway I got 6 new baby chicks from rural king and I was just wondering if there was a way for them to smell better, they habe fresh hay bedding and I got them like 6 hours ago. They just have a odd smell like sour coffe grinds. also update on my other 4 chickies, one got stolen and then i got a bantam silkie mix (his name is bob ross) and any tips on how to make my other chickens like him more? I’ve had her since July and they are always outside together but apart. she chases them sometimes too But mostly my delware pecks her and chased her. Thanks and happy holidays!

Attachments

• 962DDA72-BA10-4DFD-A132-659B0D1D521E.jpeg
    962DDA72-BA10-4DFD-A132-659B0D1D521E.jpeg
    330.5 KB · Views: 10
  • A60F1B3B-0B73-4C8B-AA63-0A6868114784.jpeg
    A60F1B3B-0B73-4C8B-AA63-0A6868114784.jpeg
    232 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    516.6 KB · Views: 3
Call Rural King and ask them if their chick tank bedding is coffee by-products. That will solve the mystery of the odd smell. It should dissipate in a few days.

The chasing and pecking is normal flock behavior. Normally, they establish their rank with each other and then go about normal chicken business. But if someone is getting pecked and left with bloody wounds, then you need to intervene by separating the victim from the bully.

Call Rural King and ask them if their chick tank bedding is coffee by-products. That will solve the mystery of the odd smell. It should dissipate in a few days.

The chasing and pecking is normal flock behavior. Normally, they establish their rank with each other and then go about normal chicken business. But if someone is getting pecked and left with bloody wounds, then you need to intervene by separating the victim from the bully.
Ok thanks so much coz I was scared to put them together as my silkie bantam is very “vocal” she makes alot of noises. they free range together but she stays a little away. Thanks again and Happy Holidays!

Back
Top Bottom