New baby chick panting

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by k5crew, Feb 23, 2016.

1. k5crew

k5crew Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2015
    Kingsland, Texas
    This little one was born about 2 hours ago. It is now panting. Do I take it out and give water? I have a mama with babies, I could tuck it under her. Or is that certain death.
    All help so appreciated.

2. Paganrose

Paganrose Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Albany,, Wisconsin
    A panting chick may be too hot or humid. Is it out of the incubator, is it dry? what is the temperature?? Hatching is hard work, and baby chicks can live off their absorbed yolk for a couple of days. If it is not steady on it's feet yet, making it eat or drink make drown or suffocate.

I wouldn't put it with mama hen unless her babies are the same age. (within a day or 3 at most)

3. k5crew

k5crew Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2015
    Kingsland, Texas
    Mama's babies are also hatching today. I tucked the baby under her and it seemed to perk up. I just thought it was going to die like it was so I acted. Time will tell. Thank you!

4. kuchchicks

kuchchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2015
    Yes panting is a classic sign of being too hot. Not sure what kind of heat source you were using but sometimes if the heat lamp is too close or there is no place for the little chick to get out of the direct heat then they will pant. I am now using the heating pad method in my brooders but if you do use a heat lamp you can put a piece of cardboard and make a type of tent to allow them some shade. Once they are able to get up and walk around (after they are dry) they will regulate their temps if they have a place to get out of the heat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by