New baby chick that has membrane on it

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by buggal, Sep 25, 2016.

1. buggal

buggal Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2016
    Aubrey, TX
    I have a newly hatched baby chick that has membrane on it. What do I do? Leave it? It is on the top of its head and a wing. Then it has a long "string" hanging off its bobo. Will this correct itself or do I need to step in? It is completely out of the shell and running around with the other chicks that hatched out. The other chicks are pecking at the "string" but it does not seem to be dislodging.

2. chicapee

chicapee Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 15, 2015
    Pass Christian, MS
    How is it doing now, of it is not off yet you can use a very warm wrung out cloth and remove it then put chick straight back in the incubator.

3. buggal

buggal Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2016
    Aubrey, TX
    The chick is doing great. It hatched much earlier today and is dry. It was the last one that hatched but is running around with the other chicks like nothing is wrong. I didn't know if this was a cause for concern or if it will take care of itself. I had a chick that had a hard hatch that there was a lot of membrane that was on it when it exited the shell. I tried cleaning it off but it was stuck on it really well. I only kept it out of the incubator for a minute or 2 but it died about an hour later. I don't want to make the same mistake but the one that hatched this morning doesn't have near the amount the first one did that died.

4. n8ivetxn

n8ivetxn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    I just read something about this a few nights ago... If I remember right, you can trim it with scissors, but not too close, eventually it'll dry and fall off - I can't remember what it was called, but it isn't uncommon.

Sounds like your chick is doing good!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by