New baby chick weak

Mutchi

Crowing
Apr 5, 2021
hamilton MT
My Coop
My Coop
We have a weak chick! The story begins... we walked in the coop to see our new tophat chickes and we find our smallest chick being trampled be the older chicks she was on her side and her head was being stepped on! So we took her and made a mini brooder for her then we took another small chick to Put in the brooder with Our week one. Any ideas what to do?
20210415_103453.jpg
20210415_103457.jpg

It may be a failure-to-thrive chick. But on the chance it's suffering shipping stress, heat a hand towel in the dryer so it's toasty warm but not burning hot and wrap the chick in it. Have a small dish of warm sugar water handy, a half cup water with half teaspoon sugar, and take a small syringe or eye dropper and give the chick drops of the water into the right side of its beak. Do this all day at one hour intervals.

A chick such as this would benefit more from direct contact heat than a heat lamp. Try rigging up a heating pad for it to crawl under to warm itself. Use the high setting and make the pad about two inches high.

It may be a failure-to-thrive chick. But on the chance it's suffering shipping stress, heat a hand towel in the dryer so it's toasty warm but not burning hot and wrap the chick in it. Have a small dish of warm sugar water handy, a half cup water with half teaspoon sugar, and take a small syringe or eye dropper and give the chick drops of the water into the right side of its beak. Do this all day at one hour intervals.

A chick such as this would benefit more from direct contact heat than a heat lamp. Try rigging up a heating pad for it to crawl under to warm itself. Use the high setting and make the pad about two inches high.
Thanks 😊she isn't really going anywhere I Have her on a heat pad and I have my hands on her to keep all the heat of the heat pad and in my hand so she is warm is that good

Sugar water will warm her from the inside so do that for her. It also will elevate her glucose levels and give her energy so she will behave more normally and be more inclined to try to eat.

It helps to teach new baby chicks to eat if you sprinkle their chick food on the floor of the brooder.

Sugar water will warm her from the inside so do that for her. It also will elevate her glucose levels and give her energy so she will behave more normally and be more inclined to try to eat.

It helps to teach new baby chicks to eat if you sprinkle their chick food on the floor of the brooder.
Thanks that deserves a follow!

I think it's doing the opposite 🤔 cuz' that are past out!
20210415_115446.jpg

Back
Top Bottom