New Baby Chick with what looks like blood but looks kinda like her insides coming out her butt?? *Na

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AStitchofKate, Mar 11, 2014.

1. AStitchofKate

AStitchofKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2014
    [​IMG]
    I noticed her standing and acting funny, so I picked her up and found this, I decided to try to do the warm water to help it come off, but I'm afraid its not poop. While I was holding her mucus came out of her mouth. I have put her in a box and separated her from the others they have all been vaccinated for coci and mareks. Thoughts? How can I help her??

2. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    Is that coming out of her vent or her navel? It looks like unabsorbed yolk sac and possibly intestines. How old is the chick? Is there a possibility someone/something could have pulled on the remaining dried umbilical cord that is stuck to the navel?

3. AStitchofKate

Feb 24, 2014
    I "looks" to be coming from her vent. They literally just got removed from the box this morning, so about 3 or 4 days old. I actually seperated her cause I didn't want them to notice and hurt her, I will try to get another photo. Just really hoping this isn't Coccidiosis, can i rule it out with them being vaccinated for it? I will try to take a closer look. I really don't want to hurt or stress more than I have to. (I already held one as it passed this morning. But it was not in the same state.)

4. AStitchofKate

Feb 24, 2014
    Im almost entirely sure its from her vent. There is now even more hanging from it. [​IMG] Thoughts?

5. AStitchofKate

Feb 24, 2014
    [​IMG] Here is another photo. Anyone got anything???

6. Tricoglossus

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    It looks like a prolapse of one of her internal organs, possibly the uterus (prolapse = something internal that is coming out of a "hole"). You could try to soak it and massage it gently in sugar water to get it to shrink a little in size, and try to massage it back inside. You will have to be extremely gentle.

7. Tricoglossus

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    To double check it's not coming from the navel: Look above (closer to the tail) of where this mass is coming from, is there no other "hole" that you can see?

8. AStitchofKate

Feb 24, 2014
    If this is yolk sac, what would I do to care for it? I'm looking for another "hole". I even called my mother over to take a peek, I have two children who are very interested in what is going on so Im trying to juggle everyone. [​IMG]LOL!

9. Tricoglossus

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    Hhhm well good luck with trying to keep everyone happy!

If it is an unabsorbed yolk sac, I think the idea is to keep it moist while it is still being absorbed. There are lots and lots of threads on BYC about that - do a search for "unabsorbed yolk sac" (here, follow this link https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=unabsorbed+yolk+sac) and see what comes up. If it is yolk sac it will be coming out of the navel, not the vent.

This may also help you - an article about infected yolk sacks https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/mushy-chick-disease-yolk-sack-infection-omphalitis
    Look at the pictures to help you determine if it's the navel or vent.

Also have a look at this page, there are pictures of vents and navels: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/03/baby-chick-basics-what-you-need-to-know.html

10. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by