New Baby Chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pomnovice, Jan 29, 2017.

1. pomnovice

pomnovice Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    A shipment of chicks survived, and only one happened to survive. She made it through last night, but I'm still worried that something will happen to her, and I don't want to do something wrong.

2. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Be Happy! Read more. Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    how many did you order?
    So...only one is alive?
    Is it eating and drinking?
    Does it have a warm area?

3. pomnovice

Jan 13, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    Thirteen came in the box, only one is alive. Yes, she has a brooder, and we've had to handfeed her.

4. KikisGirls

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Wow that is horrible.
    Did they show up dead in the box or did they start dying once you got them into their brooder?

5. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Go immediately to Tractor Supply and buy the smallest bottle of Bovidr Labs poultry Nutri-Drench.
    Give the chick one drop only by mouth. If it looks needy, repeat every 8-10hours until perky. Put the drench in its water for the next 2 weeks to get it off to a strong start. The water should look like weak tea. This emergency nutritional supplement does not need to be digested. It is absorbed into the bloodstream before it reaches the intestine so doesn't interfere with whatever feed you are giving the chick. If the chick will eat it give it a small dollop of Okio Triple Zero yogurt. That will help jumpstart the healthy bacteria in its G.I. tract.
    http://www.nutridrench.com This chick is suffering from the same travel stress that killed its hatchmates. The Drench will combat the stress , help quickly restore the immune system, jumpstart the immature G.I. tract and give the chick energy it needs to keep warm and eat. Hurry now, this is a time sensitive thing for the chick. You need to get that extra nutrition into the chick before it reaches a tipping point where the lack of nutrition exceeds the body's small nutritional reserves and the body systems start to cascade in failure and the chick dies.
    Because it is travel stressed , the G.i. tract is unable to successfully digest enough of the nutrition you are giving it. The Drench will supplement the nutrition it is unable to uptake and put the chick on track to stay alive until its G.I tract is cacapable of efficently uptaking sifficent nutition from the helps you are giving it. One can give a chick all the help in the world but if the G.I. tract is stress-impaired, it still can't uptake that nutrition!!
    Best Success,
    Karen
    After 18 yrs. studying the neonatal G.I. tract I will state here , "There is no such thing as "failure to thrive". " There is only failure to interdict the developmental timeline at the proper time with the proper helps. I believe Malabsorption Syndrome is often mistaken for "failure to thrive". This Syndrome, I believe ( and have achieved) can be succesfully combated with the proper helps at the proper time. Helps of which, the Bovidr Labs Drops and Drenches I have used and seen to be, a vital part.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  6. pomnovice

Jan 13, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    Only three showed up alive.

7. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I take it you got the chicks through an online hatchery? If so, contact them asap and tell them of your loss. The online hatcheries I'm familiar with will replace or refund you for the lost birds but you have to do it within a certain time period.

Sorry for your losses, that's so disappointing when they don't make it.

8. KikisGirls

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    how is the chick?

9. pomnovice

Jan 13, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    The chick sadly died. But, 25 new ones have taken her place, and they're all happy and healthy.

10. KikisGirls

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Sorry to hear that, but I guess it was meant to be...Congrats on the new fluffy butts!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by