New baby chick!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Brokenchickenleg, Oct 18, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Brokenchickenleg

Brokenchickenleg In the Brooder

Aug 22, 2019
    Hello again a couple months back I found 2 baby chicks in our garage. Sadly one passed away. She was always accompanied by her so we are bringing a new baby hen home. Any advice so they can bond? They chick will be about 2 weeks and will be handled by humans the whole time. Our hen is a mixed game pullet.

AviansLove likes this.
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Crossing the Road

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Are you bringing a hen or chick home? I couldn't figure that out from the post.
    If both are two weeks old (or thereabouts) There is no problem to be anticipated. Lone chicks are needing friends at that age and will be fine together.
    The only caveat to that is that one should always quarantine new birds. Otherwise one takes a gamble that they will lose all their birds.

featheredplanets likes this.
  3. Brokenchickenleg

Aug 22, 2019
    I apologize we are bringing a baby chick home and we already have a hen.

4. Brokenchickenleg

Aug 22, 2019
    We are bringing a baby chick home sorry for the confusion. The hen is about 4 months old.

5. featheredplanets

featheredplanets Crowing

Nov 28, 2017
    UK
    You should really look for a pullet of a similar age to your pullet. It’s likely that she’ll attack the chick and the chick still needs heat. It’s seems she’s gone a while without chicken company which will make her more inclined to peck at it. It may work if you had several chicks, like 4+. But just 1 two week old still needing heat with a grown 4 month old pullet is not a good idea.

6. Brokenchickenleg

Aug 22, 2019
    Thank you!

featheredplanets likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: