1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Baby Chicks and Geese Coming!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rkellett, Feb 5, 2014.

1. rkellett

rkellett Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2014
    Cabot VT
    I just ordered 24 Dark Cornish chicks, and 2 Toulouse goslings. I'm so excited to raise these birds! Has anyone raised chickens and geese together? I'm thinking of free ranging them together, but giving them separate housing quarters. Thoughts from others with chickens and geese are appreciated. I would love to hear stories!

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

I had free ranging geese this summer and my chickens were fenced.

The geese would come up to the fence and yell at the chickens, and grab the fence and shake it. I rather think the geese would have killed the chickens if they could have reached them.

The geese did like hanging out where they could see the chickens.

when I was a kid my Oma had a geese and chickens in a very large coop, and they were all fine. Her coop was maybe 10x10 with a nestbox room that was 4x4.

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    My chickens have free range during the day, and I added a pair of geese, and both keep their distance. The geese have their own coop. They take turns at the food and water.

4. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Are you getting your goslings soon?

5. rkellett

Jan 25, 2014
    Cabot VT
    They won't arrive until the week of April 21st when it's warmer.

6. rkellett

Jan 25, 2014
    Cabot VT
    I also ordered two American buff geese for pets. I heard they are better with kids.

7. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Yea, I love those American Buff. I think I ordered 2 pair of Tufted Buff. It's a cross, but I think I can get them in March.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by