New baby chicks are home and now I'm a worrier

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Giddyup, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Giddyup

Giddyup Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Vancouver Island, BC
    [​IMG] Oh boy. They are soo cute! Only 6, black australorp. I forgot the walls of the old tarrarium are covered with "background", the poor things keep pecking at it!

They found the food, and I think the water. Turns out our lights were 75 w so we have 2 on and will get a 175w tomorrow. Ambient temp is 75-80 and about 85 right under, but they don't seem to be huddling.

There is also a hallogen light - going to turn that off at night and keep the 2 heat lights on??

Here's the munchkins, they're sleeping so didn't want to bug them for pics yet....tomorrow!
    Can't figure out how to attach so here's a link if you'd like to peek: http://s59.photobucket.com/albums/g291/Tiggerjustbouncin/barnyard/?action=view&current=chicks.jpg

PS they had a short playtime...but lots of sleeping...I know they're babies..but wow what a worry-wart I am!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  2. ChickieKeeta

ChickieKeeta C'mon C'mere Fluffa Feathers

Feb 16, 2009
    Cumberland County NJ
    Your chicks are adorable. Yes, keep the heat lamps on. Get the red or black heat lamps so they can sleep better.
    They will sleep a lot. They grow quickly & in a few days they will be more awake & active.

Good luck with your brood.

3. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    Aw, how cute!

Yes you should keep a heat lamp on through the night.
    When I first got my chicks I'd wake up an hour early to check on them before anyone else!

When I got up to go to bathroom at night I could hear them cheeping in their room! So cute. [​IMG]

4. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    If your chicks are not huddling together that is a sigh that they are not to cold. If you do add more heat be sure to have it to where they can get to a cooler spot just in case its to warm for them.

Welcome to the world of being a chick mama. I only have one light on each of my brooders and its still a bit chilly at night so I get up several times during the night to make sure the bulb hasn't blowed. Its almost like I have a human newborn in the house. [​IMG]

Now when my chicks leave the brooders and go outside to live thats when I become a real mess. I'm in and out of the house several times a night. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by