New baby chicks at night time

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Toi-toi, May 12, 2010.

1. Toi-toi

Toi-toi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Central MA
    Hello:) I just bought 6 speckled sussex today. They are not my first time chicken but I've never had baby chicks so I have a question to ask...
    What you do during night time???
    I know they have to be warm but if I keep heat lamp on, are they able to sleep???

2. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, in fact they will go to sleep while eating or drinking or running across the brooder.

They will need to be kept warm. Some use a red light. I used a plain 90 watt light bulb; found they got too hot with a heat lamp on my enclosed porch.

Good luck with your babes! [​IMG]

3. Toi-toi

May 12, 2010
    Central MA
    That's good to know! Thanks [​IMG]
    Some time I see they are sitting down and closed their eyes. I thought they are sick but I guess they are sleeping.

4. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep, they were sleeping. Mine would go to sleep just standing there and eventually fall face forward into the bedding. [​IMG] Really got this first time chickie mom's heart to pounding! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Many report that the red bulbs are more soothing for night time, so that's all I used, night and day. Most pet supply stores carry smaller wattage bulbs in the reptile area.

6. hipeatall

hipeatall Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    congrats on your new chicks [​IMG]

7. OmaBird

OmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    CA High Desert
    You can tell if your chicks are too cold or too hot if you watch them and listen to them. If they are cold the peep loudly and stay close together. If they are to hot they move far from the light. You want to see that they are scattered in the brooder and are quitely chearping.

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

The advantage of a red (infrared) heat lamp over the regular, incandescent (white) lights is the red allows the chicks to sleep at night better. AND it obscurs any little pecked blood spots; if somebody draws blood in the pecking order games, the others can obsess about it and keep pecking at it, injuring each other.

9. OmaBird

OmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    CA High Desert
    If you use the red heat lamps be extra carefull. I have had two fires from them.

10. Toi-toi

May 12, 2010
    Central MA
    Oh wow, tons of good info!
    Thanks everyone!
    I just joined the BYC today and I like here already [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by