New baby chicks have all died HELP I have been raising chicks and chickens for a long time :(

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by treehouse, Feb 19, 2012.

1. treehouse

treehouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2008
    North Dallas
    I am so devistated never ever have I had this situation, everything was perfect :(
    All I can think of is that they were some how exposed to something toxic on their trip :( what can I do , send the bodies for evaluation ??? Also they seemed to not poop green poop after the gro gel was fed, alot of white.. did not seem to be like that before :(

2. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Were these shipped from a hatchery? If so how old were they?

Nate

3. treehouse

Oct 30, 2008
    North Dallas

4. Gardeninggranny

Gardeninggranny Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2008
    More information neeed. By trip do you mean they were ordered from a hatchery? How soon after you received them did they die? I don't think anywhere would take them for analysis but do call the hatchery you ordered from - if you did, and tell them what happened. They could have gotten chilled. They probably would have been dead in the box if they were in contact with something toxic on the trip.

What was your brooder temp? How much were they handled after you received them? Were you feeding medicated feed ( other than gro-gel) or putting anything in the water ? Were they acting normally when put in the brooder? Did you clean the brooder with anything or spray it or the area around it with anything including air fresheners? Sounds like they may not have eaten the gro gel - did you see them eat?

5. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    And how long after you received them did they die?
    Could they have perhaps been too cold during their trip?
    I'm so sorry your baby chicks didn't make it.

6. treehouse

Oct 30, 2008
    North Dallas
    i am really confuse with this new format :)
    Um they were day old Americana and D'Uccles, obviously in pain as they died :(
    could this be a gro gel issue ??

7. un-named543

un-named543 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2012
    SE Minnesota
    [​IMG]
    So sorry!

8. treehouse

Oct 30, 2008
    North Dallas
    What was your brooder temp? 90-92ish How much were they handled after you received them? not a lot Were you feeding medicated feed ( other than gro-gel) no feed or putting anything in the water, after i had lost 7 within the first couple hours I did start to put a sprinkle of sugar in their water..? Were they acting normally when put in the brooder? When I did pick them up at post office they were very load, thought it a bit odd :9 Did you clean the brooder with anything or spray it or the area around it with anything including air fresheners? No Sounds like they may not have eaten the gro gel - did you see them eat? Oh yes they were all over the gro gel :)

9. treehouse

Oct 30, 2008
    North Dallas
    They have slowly all died .. 35 in total ..same day and last night, recvd on Friday :(

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  10. treehouse

Oct 30, 2008
    North Dallas
    well i do still have 5 sorry not all, its killing me.. I have been raising chicks for 4 years now, never this kind of problem ??? Its obvious that it has to be environmental right ?? For this last 5 I have switched them out of the original brooder into a fresh clean box with just paper on the bottom, thinking it may have been the brooder. But I am so miticulous when it comes to cleaning the brooder box. rinse and rinse and rinse after cleaning with bleach and soap.. and then let dry for a day or more. used clean cups cut down for water ..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by