New baby chicks need help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Rooster61, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Rooster61

Rooster61 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2011
    I just brought home 6 baby chicks from my local TSC, 5 Red Pullets, and 2 Bantams(I'm guessing about 4 days old), and have read where people are having problems with the chicks picking on smaller ones.
    I was wondering if I will have problems with the Reds picking on the smaller Bantams and if I should move the Bantams to their own brooder?

My Bantams
    [​IMG]

Already named this one Red [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My new beginning [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. WVman

WVman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Salt rock/Hamlin, WV
    I would leave them together for right and just watch them but remember they will fight mine do they should be fine at this age

3. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I have my bantams in with LF that I hatched all approx same age and 2 that are LF that are 2 weeks older all get along fine in fact the ones that are 3 weeks the little roo is a cuddle bug he cuddles with the small ones.

4. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    If they are all the same age they should be ok...I brood everyone together all the time!

5. Rooster61

Mar 25, 2011
    Thanks for the replies, I was thinking sice they wer all the same age it shouldn't be a problem, but I will keep a close eye on them and see how things work out.
    I'm hoping one of my Bantams is a roo, not only for the beauty of them, but also so I can talk my wife into raising a few more of them:lol:

6. crazy huhn

crazy huhn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2008
    Congratulations on your cute chicks. They are adorable and very nice close up photos.

To your question: If they are all about the same age, they should be OK. Just keep watching them like someone else already said.

However, I noticed something in your photo and forgive me being straight forward with you, because you have not asked on advice for that: please do not keep them on the newspaper. Newspaper is way too slippery for little baby chicks legs. They might get leg problems (splayed legs) from that. A better alternative are paper kitchen towel, I personally have used some adult incontinence pads or puppy training pads from the pet store, but you can also put them on pine shavings.

7. Rooster61

Mar 25, 2011
    Thanks for the advice Crazy. I will be changing out the paper for pine shaving, I thought I had some her at home(I was wrong) and just wanted something in the bottom of the box so they didn't get their tiny toes caught in the box.

8. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    They aren't too much bigger, as long as there is enough space and good heat, they shouldn't pile. That's the biggest worry, not pecking. I've seen my 4 day old bantams beat up 2 week old standards. Lol, banties are the 'little dogs' of the chicken world. [​IMG]

9. looptloop

looptloop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Pilot Hill, CA
    Quote:Great advice, I did not know that, I learned something today!!

10. Rooster61

Mar 25, 2011
    Ok, I got the pine shavings removed the newspapers and put the pine shavings in, and now the chicks are eating it!!!
    I thought I read somewhere on here when it can be harmful for the chicks to eat the pine shavings??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by