1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Baby Chicks UPDATED

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by candyd, Jul 7, 2008.

1. candyd

candyd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Corinth, NY
    Good Morning,
    My hen has been sitting and now the eggs are hatching. The only problem is that they are in a milk carton. I am concerned that the babies will not be able to get food. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? My neighbor told me not to worry that mommy will take care of them, but I am still worried The milk carton is small and upright. I am afraid to disturb her at this point, as they will be hatching for the next few days.

I think I put this in the wrong forum! I am sorry about this.
    Candy

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  2. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I wouldn't touch her until she is done hatching. And I hope some one will get on here that knows more then me but in a few days when she is done would you be able to tilt the milk carton over so the chicks could get out? I sure someone will come up with something better. Good Luck.

3. candyd

Jul 7, 2008
    Corinth, NY
    My son said we had 2 as of last night, today is the day they are suppost to hatch, until Thursday.

4. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Don't for get the pics when you can get them.

5. candyd

Jul 7, 2008
    Corinth, NY
    This is the one from last night, I will take more as they come (hopefully!). You will also see my problem with the milk crate.

[​IMG]

6. plester01

plester01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2007
    Foreman,AR
    I just had two hens hatch out 13 (final count) out of 17 eggs. They were in the same milk crate together. When all were hatched I just picked them all up and put them out of the milk crate.

7. greenthumb89

greenthumb89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    pulaski wisconsin
    remember that chicks can go without food for up to 3 days so i think that you should be fine if not you could put a small food and a small water dish in the crate ( if there is room) and show the chicks how to eat or not ive read about both ways. up to you but they should be fine without food for a couple of days

8. candyd

Jul 7, 2008
    Corinth, NY
    Thank you very much for your information, I feel much better! I generally dont worry about the babies, but for some reason I am this time.
    Thank you again!
    Candy

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    If you are worried about food, get something small that will stay upright and put some chick mash in it. Mom would probably appreciate it too.

10. candyd

Jul 7, 2008
    Corinth, NY
    Here is an update. I did as suggested, and actually dropped some food in the corner, mom was very happy, and the baby did very well too. That night my son came home and cut a small hole in the side for the babies to get in and out....which they did. One ended outside, and I was worried that it would get hurt, what did it do..it jumped right back in with mom [​IMG]
    Also the both ate and drank! (whew!). Last night, I think I have 3 or 4 of the other bunch of eggs hatched, they were all black from what I could tell so far. Here is a picture of one of the newborn, the bast I could get.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by