new baby chicks were do I get Marek's and coccidiosis

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by snowflake, May 28, 2010.

1. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    25 days and we have at least 1 baby, mama is not willing to show how many and I didn't want to bother her as she did let 1 come out and say Hi!. I have 8 week old (ordered) chicks that have all been vaccinated so were do I get vacs and how do I do this? I am very nervous about giving them shots but or vet doesn't handle chickens. HELP!!

2. sally4500

sally4500 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    NH
    I tried to find out myself, here in Nh. I found a few vets that care for chickens, but they do not vaccinate. They said the mareks should be done at the hatchery.
    Good luck.

3. sally4500

sally4500 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    NH
    I tried to find out myself, here in Nh. I found a few vets that care for chickens, but they do not vaccinate. They said the mareks should be done at the hatchery.
    Good luck.

4. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    If i remember correctly, marek's vaccinations need to be done immediately after hatch or the first day. I'm not entirely sure, but i think that's true.

As to Coccidiosis, i don't know about the vaccines, but if you let the mama raise her chicks, you can be reasonably assured they'll be fine. Hen-raised chicks rarely, if ever, get cocci.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by