New Baby Chicks!!!! WILL NEED SOME ADVICE!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by little farmer, Jan 11, 2013.

1. little farmer

little farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey all!!! :D This March I'm getting three baby chicks. 1 EE, 1 BR, and a BO. :) Just wondering a couple things, looking for tips and advice!!! I know that I need shavings, heat lamp, small waterer, and feeder. I have a couple questions. Do I turn the heat lamp off at night? I have a few more but I'll post later.

2. Drew Dizzle

Drew Dizzle Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2012
    Costa Mesa
    No leAve it on if you don't leave it they'll freeze to death

3. ccmarie

ccmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2008
    Yuma, Arizona
    They need heat, but if the light is bothering you or them you can use a heating pad underneath. The idea is to give them a warm place that they can go to at all times, like their mama hen would do if she was around.

4. hotrodflash

hotrodflash Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2012
    East Texas
    You can always use a red light instead of white. I switched the red bulb for the white bulb every morning so that they had a night and a day. But you can just do the white if that is easier for you. I wanted mine to sleep and not chirp all night so that is why I switched bulbs.

5. LukensFarms

LukensFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2013
    Fort Collins, CO
    I recommend a heating pad over something to mock a hen. A lot of times the light always being on causes them to chirp too much. The heat pad gives dark rest with heat.

6. little farmer

little farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks so much. :) I now know to keep it on all day. So anyways, I read this article: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock (part 3) and that helped me a lot with getting some ideas for introducing the chicks to the hens. Do you guys have any other ideas???

7. ccmarie

ccmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2008
    Yuma, Arizona
    Seemed like a pretty conclusive article.
    I'm trying to mix two sets of chicks right now, one a month older than the other. I put the smaller coop right next to the bigger one for a week, then opened both doors one day and spread scratch all over the ground (none of them have free-ranged before). They were too busy eating the treat to bug each other. Most of them got along perfectly, but one of the older girls started attacking. I'm thinking that, after a couple more times of free ranging together, I'm going to separate the trouble-makers and put the rest of the chicks all in one coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by