New baby chicks

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by satkins, Mar 21, 2016.

1. satkins

satkins Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2012
    WE have new chicks that hatched today. Help I am so new to this. Do they need special food? They are in the run with the other chickens, will the other ones try and kill them? Do I put chick food in the nest? what about water? Help!!!! do I try and move mama and babies to a safe place?

2. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Howdy satkins

Congrats on the new bubs!

They need fresh food, water and to be kept clean and warm. Mumma hen will keep them clean and warm but she needs your help with the food and water bit.

Most feed stores will stock chick starter mash or crumbles. They should not be eating layer mash or pellets due to the higher calcium content which can cause bone, liver and kidney problems. They can survive the first couple of days on the egg yolk.

Whether or not other members of the flock will try and kill your chicks is down to flock dynamics and whether mumma hen is able to protect them. Each flock is different and while some chickeneers have had no dramas raising their little ones with the rest of the flock, others not so much. Probably best to keep a very close eye on them and have a Plan B [somewhere safe] just in case.

There is some great information available in the Learning Centre on ‘Hatching Eggs and Raising Chicks:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-and-raising-chicks

1 person likes this.
  3. satkins

satkins Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2012
    Thank YOU!!!! this is all so new to us. So far just one chick, she has three more eggs under her. I will check again tomorrow. We have chick starter for them. Do I put that in her nest for her and them?

Thank You again for your help!!!!!

Sheila

4. Teila

Hey satkins no problemo [​IMG]

Your mumma hen should stay with the remaining eggs for a while longer and then will most likely give up on them to raise the successful hatches.

As I mentioned, the newly hatched chicks can go a couple of days without food as they survive on the egg yolk.

Some people put the chick start and water close to the nest, others do not bother as mumma should turn her attention to looking after the new chicks when she realises the remaining eggs are not going to hatch and go off in search of food and water. Just keep a close eye on her, especially if she is a first time mum, to ensure she does not neglect the new chick in the hope of the eggs hatching.

With the water, it is important to ensure that the chicks are not able to drown in it. I use a water container in which they can not drown or you could put some marbles in a shallow dish.

Please share some pictures when you have a chance [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice from @Teila, so I'll just say a big hello [​IMG]

all the best
    CT

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Teila has given you excellent advice, so I will just Congratulations on your chick and sending great vibes for the other yet to hatch [​IMG]

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. lwiese58

lwiese58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2013
    Cleveland, GA
    I hope someone is online who can advise me on a different question regarding new chicks. One of my hens hatched out 2 babies 3 days ago. The three of them are isolated away from everyone else in a pen in our basement. Momma is doing a great job at teaching them to eat, drink and scratch. The problem I'm facing is that she is doing so much scratching in the chips that I'm constantly having to go clean out their food and water which she has scratched piles of chips into. I don't feel like I can do anything for having to continually run down there and take care of this and am beginning to feel just a tad frantic. I wish I could see the feeding set up that others have, to compare to mine. I must be doing something wrong as I haven't seen any other posts that mention this.

9. Teila

Howdy lwiese58

Congrats on the new bubs!

What I have done in the past is have the water raised on bricks and a stepping platform in front of it. For the food, I made a timber frame which the bowl fitted into. Again, it was only a small jump for them which they could do easily but it was enough to stop mumma burying their food [​IMG]

In both picks, you can see the timber frame around the food and in the second pic, you can see that the little one had no problems getting onto it.

If you do raise them slightly, just keep on eye on them for a while to ensure that they can reach them.

As I only put out enough food for my bantams for the day and do not leave food in the run overnight, in the third pic, you can see that I have a 'raised serving area' which again keeps the food and water safe from dirt when it is in the run.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. lwiese58

lwiese58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2013
    Cleveland, GA
    This is great! Now I have some ideas of what I already have that I can use! Thank you so much for including pictures!

I did get them outside yesterday in a small tractor for several hours but not without drama and had not thought that would be a possibility every day. The tractor is quite small and requires me crawling inside to get them for removal. But now, between that suggestion and this, I am hopeful. I am so thankful for this site!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by