New baby chicks!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nhchickmom, May 6, 2009.

1. nhchickmom

nhchickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2008
    Thornton, NH
    Yeah, we got our first baby chicks last week. They are one week old and so much fun. I can not believe how fast they are growing and how much they are eating. We have 2 Barred rocks, 2 welsummers, and 2 easter eggers. All seem happy and healthy.

QUESTIONS:

How much should I be lowering the temperature by each week? When are the chicks old enough to go out to the coop with our other hens?

Thank you.

2. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    You can start cutting the temp 5 degrees every week......I put my chicks out in the coop with a light on only at night at 6 weeks!

3. nhchickmom

nhchickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2008
    Thornton, NH
    Thanks for the advice. I am wondering if the chicks can go out in the garden shed when they are two weeks old. The shed is not heated, but would be closed completely so no drafts. They would be in a wire chicken cage with a 120 watt heat lamp. Day time temp would be about 70 and evening would be about 45 without the use of a heat lamp. Would they be ok?

4. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    At 2 weeks old they need a heat source that will give them access to about 85 degrees. You can decrease that by 5 degrees a week. I think i would wait untill they are 3 to 4 weeks to be sure the night temps don't chill them. Good Luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by