New Baby Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by NYChicks345, Jul 14, 2011.

1. NYChicks345

NYChicks345 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2011
    Danube, NY
    I got my order of chicks on Tuesday from Murry McMurry, Ordered 40 chicks...they gave me 42 and 11 of the chicks were dead in the box:(. Very upsetting to say the least. Don't think i will order from them again. Anyone recommend a different Hatchery.[​IMG]

2. Chicka-boom Chicka-boom

Chicka-boom Chicka-boom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    I'm so sorry to hear of this - how very sad! [​IMG] I hope the rest will be healthy, happy little peeps [​IMG]

3. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    I am sorry about the loss of your chicks! [​IMG] That cannot have been a good experience opening that box. I have been reading that a lot of people are losing chicks in shipping, sometimes entire orders, so I hesitate to blame this on the hatchery. I haven't ordered from McMurray but I have heard good things about them. It is the extreme heat that we are having. Unfortunately, I have an order of chicks coming from MyPetChicken next week. [​IMG] I really didn't think about the heat when I ordered them and in fact, assumed that it would be better than shipping in winter (my other orders did with no losses). Now I am really concerned. Enjoy the little beauties that made it and post pictures when you can.

4. Lil'ChickFarm

Lil'ChickFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    Oh wow, how sad. I am getting chicks on the 29th. 15 silkies. Now I am wondering if I should delay my order. hmmm........

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I hope you called them to let them know of your losses, I believe they either refund or resend.

6. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    That's so sad! We just got our first five chicks (ever) last week from Meyer and my husband and I were both worried about what we might find when we opened the box - it was extremely hot all of that week. Fortunately, everyone arrived in perfect health.

From the looking around at different hatcheries that I had done, it seems that all of them have refund/credit/replacement policies for such occurrences. You may also want to contact the local post office it came through, as the handle and transporting of your chicks is just as important a factor as the chicks' original health.

7. wyomingleghorn

wyomingleghorn Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2011
    so sorry for your loss
    i agree with all posts and its like vegas, i have only ordered from one place and that was purleypoultry.com, they offer over 300 dif breeds and guarantee 100% live delivery
    i ordered 25 white leghorns and they sent 28 lost two in shipping
    im not sure about other hatcheries but the shipping was kinda expensive under 20 birds was $40 after went to $20 and the price per chick went down. i too was sceptical about chicks through the mail but i had good exp. hope your next order goes better and hope mcmurry makes it right with you.
    good luck to ya

8. alaynalynn

alaynalynn Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I had really good luck with McMurry but my order came in May. Sorry for your lost. I can't even imagine.

9. ilovemydog

ilovemydog Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    I have had great expierence with Mcmurray all of mine are still alive and beautiful:) I believe its just the heat !

10. erinangele

erinangele Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    I just received 4 chicks from MPC. Everyone was alive when i opened the box. I would think the odds of loosing some would go up along with the ordered amount, but 11 seems like a lot. I'm sorry [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by