New baby chicks!

smithab

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 1, 2014
I have 3 new baby chicks that were hatched by my hen, This is my first experience with babies. I live in Georgia. My hen is in her own coop, in her own pen. The weather is supposed to be in the teens this week with cold wind. Her coop is pretty warm with little to no drafts. Should I be concerned that the chicks will get too cold? Do I feed medicated chick starter? Anything special I should be doing or feeding? My hubby thinks I worry too much and should let mama hen do her job. Thoughts?

Mama will do her job. As long as she is protected from the elements, her babies will be fine if they are under her.

Medicated chick rations contain very tiny amounts of the anti-coccidiosis drug known as “amprolium.” You would immediately think this is the best option to go with but just because it contains this drug doesn’t mean your chicks won’t get sick. Plus, chicks who eat non-medicated feed and don’t get sick, have a higher chance of not getting coccidiosis once they are grown. So you don't necessarily have to feed it.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your new peepers!

Back
Top Bottom