New baby chicks

benji1989

In the Brooder
May 8, 2015
North East, UK
Hiya all so today I went out into a coop area and found a baby chick. Our chickens are free to roam around the aviary morning or night. Having only had our chicken approx 7months still kinda new 2 all this. Just wonder as I've seen a lot of post about chicks being "indoors" am I 2 bring it in and put the chick in a brooder box or leave it with mam?

I've moved both mother and chick into a smaller coop with run away from the other hens. In doing this hope I haven't stressed them out, I have checked on them a couple times this evening and chick keeps going under mam so fingers crossed all is well.

Thanks in advance guys

If she's covering the chick well, I'd just leave her to do her job. She can do it better outdoors than we can inside anyway. Have a place set up and ready just in case she decides this motherhood thing ain't for her and you do end up taking over for her, but it sounds like she's doing well.

But did you look for her hidden nest and make sure there are no other eggs in it? They can hatch as long as a day or so behind the first chick, so that's the first thing I'd be looking for. Obviously if you just spotted the chick for the first time when you went out there, she was pretty secretive with her sitting on the nest.

Hiya blooie thanks for the reply,
Yeah I've had a good look around and no other chicks/eggs in her nest or around that area. Chicks seems healthy and is sticking with mam and not leaving her side.
I wasn't prepared for any chicks so rushing out first thing 2 buy feed, what would you recommend for baby chicks?

Any good chick starter will be fine. Mom won't lay while she's brooding, so you don't need to keep feeding her layer food - she can eat the chick starter just fine. Good luck with them!

Aww thanks very much and thanks for the advice I'm very grateful
1f603.png

Back
Top Bottom