New baby duck. Not sure what to do.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by IChickenGirl, Aug 11, 2013.

1. IChickenGirl

IChickenGirl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2013
    Pacific Northwest
    Today i got home from Yellowstone, and i had been hatching out some ducks. But, i was very busy with them and just couldn't turn them. I've hatched many times, but my schedule blew up and i couldn't find the time to do it. Since it was my hatch, nobody wanted to turn them. So, i left them on the table and asked my Grandmother if she could turn them.
    She put them under the table to die.
    When i came home, a nasty smell came from the table, it was the rotten eggs. But when i opened it to clean it, a baby duck was screaming. Right now i made a pouch for him, so i can carry him about. I gave him vitamin water, food with vitamins, and heat. Right now hes with me, but i dont know how long he was there or how old he is.
    HELP?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    My goodness, make him a little brooder a box will work but a nice size plastic tote works even better. He needs food and water and a warm place to be but not too warm. around 85* the first week and 5* lower each week there after. Give him a stuffed animal to cuddle with, and if you have one or can buy one a bird safe mirror so he can see himself. Does he seem healthy? eating good? Please spend as much time as you can with this little one, it didn't ask to be hatched but you set the eggs so it is here now and needs someone to take great care of it. And if you can post a pic we maybe able to give you an idea of age, but I would say just hatched, I doubt it would have lived long in the conditions you described. Also make sure to put something on the bottom of the brooder for good footing old clean towels or rubber shelf liner works good. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  3. IChickenGirl

IChickenGirl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2013
    Pacific Northwest
    Im sorry I never replied to this!
    Sadly, when only a few days old, he had seizures and died. A few I coaxed him out of, but he just stopped eating and drinking until he couldn't even move due to being so cold and starvation/dehydration. I force fed him and gave him water, which im very good at, and he came back. But, it happened again, and I couldn't coax him away from the light. Very heart breaking. But, Ive learnt over my years of breeding this happens.
    Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by