New Baby Duckling Help and Advise Please.......BABY PICS....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by xfilesnumber1fan, Apr 23, 2009.

1. xfilesnumber1fan

xfilesnumber1fan Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Missouri
    Went to TSC and came home with 6 baby mallards I have ducks but never had any this tiny..They are 2 weeks and want any advise of the best care for them..Here some pis for there living is it ok..What does everyone think? Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  2. xke4

xke4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2007
    Looks good. The heat is directed at one end so they have the option of moving to the other end if too warm. The water isn't deep enough for them to get wet. The only thing I might suggest is covering over about 1/4 of the non-heat end just so there is somewhere to go to feel safe. I clothespin a receiving blanket over the end and it gives them a place to "hide".

3. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    Awww...I remember when mine were that tiny...seems like yesterday...(it has been 5 weeks) They grow oh so fast...Enjoy them!!! Everything in your set up looks pretty good. I allowed mine to swim when they were a day old for about 5 minutes a day. It helps the oil gland function correctly.

4. jayk117

jayk117 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2009
    i just hatched my first batch of mallards this week from my own mallard eggs and they are doing good. i have about the same setup as yours which is working pretty good so i think yours are gona be fine.

good luck

5. barnwife

barnwife Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    central Texas
    Looks great! The only thing I would change is the bedding...I use pelleted b/c it gets fluffy when wet and still wicks the moisture away!
    And it helps with that wonderfully "ducky" smell!

Have fun!!

The only thing you have to watch is as soon as they get their flight feathers, they will begin flying...so either pinioning or clipping flight feathers on one side are necessary for you to keep em...or constantly penned up.

Do NOT let them learn to fly, they will go the ways of the winds, and you might not get to see them except during migrations then!

Congrats on your babies!

6. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    We use the same set up with our mallards, except we use saw dust to soak up poo and water. We also have our water sitting in a glad ware square plastic dish it helps catch the water they splash.

7. headred

headred Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Lawrence
    Mine started this way also. You might put the water up on a brick or something like that because they will get messy really fast! They can then reach the water but not get IN it! Enjoy, they grow up quick, just like kids, darn it!

8. xfilesnumber1fan

xfilesnumber1fan Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:What kind of pellets? Would they be rolling around on them? I use pellets from Petsmart in the bottom of the rabbits cage...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by