1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New baby ducklings - advice please.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MulberryC87, Aug 20, 2016.

1. MulberryC87

MulberryC87 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2016
    Hi, I'm very excited to be the new owner of two Ducklings. They were in need of a new home and we were very happy to have them.
    But we haven't been given much information about them. Could you please help me - does anyone know how old they may be and what breed of duck??
    I was told they were 8-9 weeks old and gressingham ducks (but I dont think that is even a breed - more a food company!!). And I read a few forums which is making me also think they are actually younger than this and they should be more white and feathered by 8-9 weeks - I've learnt they grow very quickly.

Any advice would be much appreciated - thank you.

Here are a few pictures - I have more if these aren't too clear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  2. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Those look to be more like 3-4 weeks old.

They might be Aylesbury Ducks, but I'm not really familiar with that breed to know for sure. Hopefully someone else who knows will chime in. :)

3. Spyderk117

Spyderk117 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2016
    Wisconsin
    Maybe a Pekin or a Muscovy.

4. MulberryC87

MulberryC87 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2016
    Thank you both.

I was thinking Pekin, but I'm sure I will know for sure once they are bigger.

They are starting to enjoy our company now and absolutely love vegetables.

Do you know if it is common to have a dominant duck?? A leader?
    One of them is always leading and is very greedy when we give them treats and has kinda snapped at the other one.

Again any advice would be great [​IMG]

5. e n b

e n b Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2015
    San Diego California
    I had pecking a but now have Shetlands They look like a pecking duck

6. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Absolutely normal! Ducks maintain a social hierarchy that they start to develop right after hatching. There is always a dominant duck and everyone will have their place in the flock. They will often push around any ducks that are "beneath" them (usually when it comes to food and treats). That's just duck society. ;) What's fun is when there are little power struggles and a less dominant duck will suddenly become Top Duck. Duck shenanigans are fun to watch. ^-^

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by