New Baby Ducklings Help Please!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by dansdeals3489, Mar 17, 2008.

1. dansdeals3489

dansdeals3489 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2008
    Mogadore, Ohio
    Please help!! I just hatched a Rouen duckling, I only had one hatch. This duckling hatched on March 15th. I wanted to have at least 2 ducks (for pets) so I got a Pekin duckling from a local breeder today March 17th. The Pekin was born on March 16th. I put them together in the same brooder and the Rouen keeps pecking at the eyes and chasing around the Pekin. I am afraind the Rouen will kill the Pekin. I would like to keep them together as these are going to be pets. I inserted a divider in the brooder to keep them seperated. Did I make a mistake by getting a Pekin? Will I be able to put them together? What should I do.....thanks in advance for all you who help

2. Dogginfox

Dogginfox Chillin' With My Peeps

You should be fine, I recently hatched a single duckling and was forced to brood him with my week old chicks. The chicks gave him a really hard time for the first day, pecking holes in his feet, walking over him ect. I just tried to watch them as much as possible but after the first day everything was fine, they would cuddle up together under the light and follow each other around.

3. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Always best to introduce new brooder mates during the night cycle if you can. Once there is no other light in the room and they are just under the RED heat bulb they tend to settle more.

Introducing right after a good feeding tends to make introductions easier also.

Even chicks tend to recognize different breeds and can be more territorial around them. So this may require some time and supervision.

4. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Forgot to mention that if you can divide the brooder in a way they can see each other but not get to each other for 24 - 48 hours that should resolve the issue.

5. dansdeals3489

Mar 17, 2008
    Mogadore, Ohio
    Thanks for the info, I am glad I found someone with a similar situation. I seperated them last night, and like a miracle today they are like long lost buddies. They are getting along great and want to be with each other. Its very exciting and cute. Thanks again for your wonderful help.

6. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    Odd as this might sound, pick them up and sit them on your lap or something like that-put them in a new situation together and they will bond,-ie wow look at that scary giant! We gotta get outta here!

7. stormie

stormie Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2008
    MO
    Hey I got a question about this. I have two babies and one keeps pecking at the others eyes, feet, and bill. The other one is exhausted too. I feel bad for the little guy. Is this the same situation? Concerned..

BTW they are only a day old and bully hatched 6 hours before the other one.

8. dansdeals3489

Mar 17, 2008
    Mogadore, Ohio
    After a day or so my rouen duck quick pecking the female and they got together after that and haven't been apart since. Enjoy them while they are young it is so much fun and I am going to do it again. They are a lot of fun now, but were better when they were babies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by