New baby from guinea/chicken nest.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by froggie71, Jul 4, 2012.

1. froggie71

froggie71 Songster

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    Found this little baby yesterday morning by a nest that was shared by a chicken and a guinea hen. We had just removed the guinea hen from the nest as she sat for way to long without hatching anything. The chicken had started sharing the nest about halfway through. When I went out in the morning to let all the birds out the guineas were freaking out. (Nothing new there.) When I checked on the chicken I found this baby just hatched, still wet out of the nest and peeping like crazy. It was on it's back and momma was having nothing to do with it. I was positive it was a keet. I've had chickens hatch keets out before and they haven't been too fond of the keet. 1 abandoned the nest as soon as they started hatching and 1 killed the keet she hatched. So I brought the baby in a put it under a heat lamp. It wasn't until it fluffed out that I realized this is a chick. It has a single comb and feathers on it's legs. It's a total mutt but darn cute :)

.[​IMG]

2. ladychicken&Ducklover

ladychicken&Ducklover Songster

May 21, 2011
    Champion, Michigan
    Oh my goodness, isnt that baby adorable ..[​IMG]
    I bet you were like...[​IMG]

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Awwwwww. .....cutie pie. It has a Wynadotte looking face.... :D

4. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    [​IMG]

5. froggie71

froggie71 Songster

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    It was a surprise. My silly children are hoping it's a chicken/guinea cross. I'm highly doubtful about that. The little 1 did come from a brown chicken egg. Wyandotte face? We do have a few. It does have feathers on it's legs and I believe the chicken on the nest does have feathered legs. She is a Light Brahma/Red Star cross. As far as who the daddy is, that would be a very good question. I don't have a clue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: