new baby goats in febuary, any advice??

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by agnes_day, Dec 12, 2008.

1. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    well, my sweet husband paid for 2 baby goats to be picked up after valentines day, a neutered boy and a girl!
    what do i need to be ready for them besides the housing and fencing, ive got that taken care of!
    there are so many different types of goat things at the store, i dont know what is essential and what isnt!

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    A small shelter, probiotics, loose minerals to lick free choice, goat feed, hay and lots of water. They do best with mostly hay to eat and plenty of browse and just the smallest supplement of feed.

What you need most of all is good fences. Bored goats are mischevious and they will climb fences, tear down fences and eat everything you don't want them to eat. They can be a danger to themselves if they get out and go on a goaty walkabout.

3. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Are they going to be weaned or still on the bottle when you get them??? If still on the bottle I would give them cows milk till they are 8 weeks old and also let them try hay and a very little grain. They will need their CD/T shots and boosters. Also some wormer if they are already weaned. I do worm my babies if not sure when momma was wormed last.
    Basically hay, water with a warmer to keep it from freezing, alfalfa pellets and a little grain as mine eat with mom and learn what to eat and what not to eat.

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I have to disagree with cows milk. If they are not weaned most people can only get pasturized milk. Often that leaves them with a bad case of scours. They also are not getting any enzymes and the protein is changed from heat processing.

Purina makes a milk replacer for goats and lambs that is fortified. My bottle babies grew and gained weight equal to or better than mother's milk.

Land o' Lakes also makes a top notch milk replacer.

5. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    I've had terrible luck with milk replacers...it always causes scours for the goats I've attempted to use it on. Had great luck with half and half from the store or plain whole milk. So, MP...we agree to disagree again.

If raw milk is what you want, find a local dairy. They'll often sell it or give it away for kids...

6. agnes_day

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    she says they will be weaned...one of them was born on the 5th of this month, and the other is supposed to be born next weekend. is that old enough to be weaned?
    i found a vet that cares for goats so ive got him lined up for the vaccinations and everything.

7. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    Sounds good so far. Tetanus shots, wormers, antibiotics on hand, OOOHHH: Power Punch! Gets their tummy back on track. The poops can kill a kid pretty quick. The 1st sign of the poops and punch them; we just use a big syringe w/out needle and squirt it at the back of the mouth. Most hate it but it smells good to me. Harness would be nice if you are going to train them. Something to climb on, we have plywood boxes and cut in half oil tanks. It save cutting hooves;!!!!sheers.

8. agnes_day

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    now i have heard that you can leash train them..is that true? would they enjoy going on walks? we have a walking trail down the road and i wouldnt mind taking them along for walks!
    also, ive heard that they just need a 3 sided shelter..but wont they get cold when it snows??

9. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Yeah, they like to go on walks. Takes some time to get them trained to the leash - they'll flop around like you're killing them at first...but they get the hang of it.

At that age, in that time of the year...I recommend a warming box or at minimum a heat lamp in their shelter. They'll be awefully young, leaving the warmth of mothers.

10. agnes_day

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    thats what i was thinking...i have a utility room that i was thinking of enclosing and adding some heat..would that work?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by