New baby- haven't seen it drink?

MrsRubbler

In the Brooder
Jun 25, 2016
CNY
Hi all! Thanks for taking the time to help me out!
Five chicks arrived this morning via USPS and MPC. Brooder box is on my deck and has been up and running for two days to be sure we had the temperature right with the heat lamp. When I got them home, I dutifully dipped each of their beaks in the waterer, four of them picked right up on it and ran all over the coop eating, drinking, resting near the heat, etc. The buff brahma of the group (who seems to already be kinda sassy?!) is moving around with the others, eating fine, but I haven't seen her drink on her own. I tried dipping her beak again- no difference. I know she's probably still running on yolk and all that, but when should I be concerned?

Congrats on the new chicks! I would suggest that you keep dipping her beak in the water until you see her do it on her own. In the meantime, if you'd like, you can mix a little bit of her chick feed in with some water to get her some fluids. But she'll probably figure it out on her own when she gets thirsty. Good luck!

It will most then likely figure it out on its own, specially if he/she sees the others chicks drinking.
Keep an eye on him her though just in case she doesn't, then you will have to keep showing her over and over again where the water is, at one point she will get it and do it on her own.

Thank you two! I would have thought she would have picked right up on it when she saw the others, but so far, no luck! I'll just keep an eye on her and maybe try a few more times tonight/tomorrow if she still hasn't figured it out. Thanks again
1f60a.png

Back
Top Bottom