New baby help

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by scgreenacres, Feb 21, 2017.

1. scgreenacres

scgreenacres Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2015
    Hi all!
    My two Muscovy girls have diligently sat and hatched all but 4 of their eggs, which they are still protective of....everyone is doing good but one. It can't stand or hold its head up. It is peeping and opens its eyes every now and then. It has a funny looking yellow bump thing on its belly. One of the moms tried to bury it but it was still breathing so I brought it to the house and put it under a warming lamp....is there anything else I should do?
    Thanks for any help.:(:(:(

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Sounds like it may have hatched a little soon. The belly will go down eventually. If it's the egg sac you'll need to make sure it stays real clean till completely absorbed so bacteria won' t enter. Do you have poultry vits? Poultry Nutri Drench is a really good one it can be given straight just inside the bill though not down the throat.

Just keep it warm right now is very important. Just a drop of vits at first once the little one gets stronger add to the drinking water. Hope the little one makes it.

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

How is baby now?......

I do not mean to contradict Miss Lydia at all, she is fantastic...

Although when absorbing the yolk they do not need any vitamins.....They need to be warm and then drink water and eat some wet Ducky food once they show more energy....Coming out of an egg is hard work.....

Cheers!

4. scgreenacres

Jan 2, 2015
    Thank you for your reply! I wasn't having much luck googling. The babe is looking better (not great) but is lifting its head more and where it looked featherless in places, even that looks different. I do not have the vitamins but am going out in just a few to pick up. Hoping tractor supply has that?
    Maybe you can help me with another situation? I have another girl who wanted to sit on the nest with these other two but they wouldn't let her. She built a nest beside theirs and they would run her off when she came in to sit (oh btw it was in the horse's stall). She eventually went down the pasture and built her nest in a hole of a tree trunk. She is deep in there. When she comes out to eat and drink the Muscovy drakes, another hen, the khaki Campbell pair and the Pekin pair all run her off. They will not let that poor baby eat. I tried putting some feed outside her tree trunk door but the horse and miniature donkey would eat it, plus I was afraid of attracting something horrible to her...I don't know what to do, she hasn't come out in a few days (that I can tell anyway). Is there something I should do for her? Why would all of the sudden everyone turn on her? The khaki Campbell's I have had for 2 yrs and the muscovys and Perkins I have had for one. There has never been any barnyard politics like this before? I feel so sorry for her.

5. scgreenacres

Jan 2, 2015
    Oh ok, thank you too! I put some starter crumble and water in the box with baby...it hasn't eaten on I s own. I'm hoping it pulls through! I can imagine that was hard poor baby. I'm gonna do my best to help it! I appreciate all the help!

6. scgreenacres

Jan 2, 2015
    And I apologize for my answers being all over the place...I don't have the hang of this yet. Lol

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I was thinking if the lil one is weak maybe the PND would help give it a boost similar to using sugar water. Just a tiny drop right inside the bill?I also didn't know if it was yolk sac or just belly swollen a little.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'd take a flash light down and make sure she is okay. She really needs to eat is there any way you can fence off right in front of the tree and put food and water out for her in the daylight? take it up before dusk. What going to happen once the ducklings hatch she is going to need a safe place for them and her especially if the other ducks are being hateful.

Since she left to brood they may not see her as one of the flock.

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    It most likely won't eat for at least 24 hrs. How does it's belly look now? Once it's gotten stronger you'll have to show it where it's food and water is just like mama duck would.

10. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Yeah, I really hate giving them anything by syringe incase they aspirated on it?????

I never do anything and all Ducklings I have had do great.......Plus the ones I sold for that lady were traveled about 1 hour and sometimes not even a day old?

Water....wet feed and dry out all the time!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by