new baby mallard duck question-- need advice!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ro.netcmarie, Mar 29, 2009.

1. ro.netcmarie

ro.netcmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2008
    travelers rest, sc
    went to the feed and seed store yesterday and picked me up 5 mallard duckies!!!! so i put them in a aquarium with the food and water, and put rubber mating for their little feet. got a lamp ontop if they get cold.
    question--- am i supppose to leave both water and food in their, can i take the food out, or is it just best to leave both in?? any advice will help-- thanks will try to post picks if i found out how, this will be my first attempt to post pics. will try try in a bit!!!

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I leave food in and water. Water can turn in to a mess though. I put the water container in an old quiche pan to cut down on slopping. SOme people use milk jug waterers with hole cut in the side big enough for them to stick their heads in an drink...not big enough to play in.

3. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    I have a large shallow tray that I use too. It keeps the flood confined. So they have a dry place to nap. They are messy but the cuteness evens it out for me.[​IMG]

4. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    An aquarium will work for a couple weeks, but I would think about a baby pool. I brooded 6 mallards in a baby pool in my garage. When the pool gets messy, we dumped the straw (or shavings) into the compost, filled the pool and gave the ducks a swim. (Wait until they are several weeks because you don't want chilled babies). The baby pool will contain them, and contain the "yuck" without leaks and will be multi purpose in days to come.
    My ducks still come in on very cold nights and sleep in the baby pool in the garage. Here's a picture of them about 10 days ago on a cold night. They were born last October.
    [​IMG]

5. muscovy94

muscovy94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    what i do, since ducklings are so messy, I leave the food with them all night, but i take the water out every night and just put it back when i wake up in the morning.

6. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Just keep in mind that you are risking death by doing this. Lots of times they will take on too much food, start to choke and run to the water to wash their bills and wash it down. I would take both out or leave both in overnight but they are going to need both first thing in the morning, ~gd

7. ro.netcmarie

Oct 7, 2008
    travelers rest, sc
    would it be ok to give both to them during the day and take both away during the night and give back in the morning or are they to little to keep both away??

8. ChickBond 007

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    ro.netcmarie :

would it be ok to give both to them during the day and take both away during the night and give back in the morning or are they to little to keep both away??

I left food/water in the brooder at all times. I did not use a drip waterer, but simply a chicken waterer. Yes, this did make some mess, but ducks must have water in order to feed. If you watch them eat, they will use water to wash down their food.
    Ducks are messy, there's no way around it and you must be committed to cleaning daily. (Sorry, no better deal with them.) If you give them a larger water container, they will swim in it and make themselves chilled. My ducks have never overeaten, so I didn't hesitate to continue to provide the food.​

9. ro.netcmarie

Oct 7, 2008
    travelers rest, sc
    yes they are messy, but their cutness evens it out!!! i also know they dont produce oils by theirselves, so what age can they swim unsupervised??

10. ChickBond 007

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    ro.netcmarie :

yes they are messy, but their cutness evens it out!!! i also know they dont produce oils by theirselves, so what age can they swim unsupervised??

I think we let them 'bathe' under supervision on a warm sunny day at about 4-5 weeks. (I think we put them in a warm bathtub earlier but made sure they were warm/dry that day.) They love nothing better than some crumbles and some lettuce sprinkled in a baby pool full of water. When they are completely feathered out, you will see them turn and manipulate the oil gland on their tail. At that time, you'll know they can swim all they want. You will think they are clumsy until you see them in the water.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by