New Baby! My 2 yr old Pekin

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by PlumTuckered, Jun 7, 2011.

1. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    My 2 yr old Pekin has faithfully set on her nest. There was a combo of eggs under her, Pure Mallard, Pekin/Mallard Mix, Jumbo Pekin/Mallard Mix, Magpie-Runner/Mallard Mix LOL Last night there 8 eggs under Scrappy, today we went to town to run errands, we were gone a couple of hours and when we got home there was a duckling standing over near the pool in the duck pen with my 12 week old Scovies all standing around it singing! I brought the baby in the house to make sure it was ok...seemed just fine. I carried it back out to the duck pen, opened the house and saw a little piece of egg by Scrappy's nest, looked under Scrappy and there are only 4 eggs under her. No idea how she went from 8 to four and only one baby and one little piece of egg shell to show for it. I moved Scrappy, her nest and the new baby to the other duck house and locked it up. My Magpie/RUnner cross is still in the big duck house on her nest up in the nesting box...I checked under her and 3 dead babies :-( 2 fully formed and look full term, the third wasn't fully formed. I removed them and she settled back down on her eggs. I check their eggs everytime they get off the nest to eat and those babies weren't there yesterday. One of these days I'm going to get a web cam for my duck pen LOL

Here's Mamma Scrappy with the new baby, and I do believe this is from her egg so it's a Pekin/Mallard cross
    [​IMG]

and here is the little darling
    [​IMG]

Michelle

2. aduckstolemyheart

aduckstolemyheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Missouri
    Awww this baby is soooooo cute [​IMG]

3. Crayonsmom

Crayonsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    MA
    AWww, how precious. [​IMG] I love how happy momma duck looks in the first picture. lol. Very cute baby. [​IMG]

4. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    I spent a while out there with them this morning, duckling is doing great, having fun jumping up on Mamma and going to the waterer on it's own. If Scrappy decides the little one has been running around in the house long enough she gives a little noise and the baby goes running to her. Her other 4 eggs aren't doing anything yet..I hope she gets at least one more baby.

Michelle

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by