New baby pictures

Keltara

Songster
8 Years
Apr 14, 2011
Small Town U.S.A., Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
We got 10 broilers earlier this week. It's our first time with them. They sure are cute! The are referred to
simply as "The Peeps". The plan is NOT to become attached.
IMG_4311.jpg

We let our Buff Orpington pullets each spend a little time in the chick brooder. It was cute....
IMG_4291.jpg

IMG_4290.jpg

IMG_4288.jpg

Watching a new peep sleep never gets old.
IMG_4300.jpg

And here's Madeline with one of our future dinners.
IMG_4250.jpg

Quote:
lol.png
Actually she knows she's holding dinner. So far my girls are okay with the idea, but when "the" day comes, I'm sure there will be issues. It's going to be a very good life lesson though and one that I want them to have.

Last edited:
we have done broilers with 4 h before and will do it again this sept. well get 25 -50 birds.. and your right dont get attatched. the kids have to learn ( and moms and dads too sometimes) that even though its hard, broilers are to be looked at as a business, not as pets..
I have always heard as well ( need some clarification) that broiler breeds are bred for a short lifespan.. that if not butchered in a timely manner that they will start to fail on their own. something about where they are bred to bulk up in weight quickly and not to live long? but then what are these chicks out of?? hummm now that I write this it really has me wondering too? would love an answer from a broiler expert...
idunno.gif

bye for now )O(
Pink

Quote:
Pink
From what I understand (and I'm no expert either) they are a rock and cornish cross. Therefore there is no need to raise them to adulthood for more babies. Just breed another Cornish hen with a Rock Roo and more broilers hatch. How did you like your broilers? Did they blow Tyson away in flavor? I'm looking forward to putting birds that are very healthful on the plate for my family.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom