New Baby Questions - Austrolorpes/ Golden Sex Links

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by stormhasit, May 7, 2008.

1. stormhasit

stormhasit Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2008
    Texas
    The babies arrived as hatchlings on Thursday the 24th of last month so they are now 2 weeks old tomorrow.
    I have 12 Australorpes (sp?) & 12 Golden Sex Links - suppose to be all pullets except for 1 of the Austrolorpes is suppose to be a rooster. The wing feathers are coming in nicely - but they are really starting to look "scraggly" as other feathers are starting to try to poke thru. They are all seeming very healthy and active.

Currently they are living in an over-sized dog crate (great dane size) with a lamp on them. For food I have them on Purina's - Start & Grow and then I also have a dish of "Chick Grit" in for them.

I have a house (6' x 8') ready for them that is totally safe from any/all predators till they are absolutely ready to go outside on their own. The weather here is being mid 80's during the day - mid to upper 60's at night.

My question: I am wanting to put them into there house and move them out of my living room this weekend... are they ready? and is the weather warm enough yet for them?

2. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    Normally they don't go out until they are all feathered out. Usually not until 4-6 weeks.

3. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    They should not go out until they are little older, more feathered and able to handle the cool nights. At two weeks, they still need 85- 90 degrees in their brooder. 60 degree nights would be too cold.

4. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Great advice here.

5. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    Last edited: May 8, 2008
  6. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

They can go out at any time with a heat lamp at the proper temp.

7. BearSwampChick

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    Mine will be 3 weeks on Saturday and they're going into the coop. The temps at night are still cool, but they will have a heat lamp. Plus I'm going to set their brooder (XL dog crate) inside the coop for the first week or so until they get used to the new surroundings .

8. stormhasit

stormhasit Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2008
    Texas
    Alright now - I've taken the grit out and away from them. They don't seem to mind. I really believed they needed this to help digest the food.

I will go ahead and continue setting the house up for them (sawdust shavings down, etc) and as the weather warms more in the night I will move the crate itself into the house and keep the light on them and let them come out or stay in as they choose.
    Does this sound like the better plan for them?

Also - someone was telling me about some medicine I needed to look into getting to put in their water to help prevent/ treat coccidiosous (sp?). Any ideas what it is I should be putting in the water right now?
    Or do I just continue with only the starter food and clear fresh water by itself?

Sorry for my ignorance and all my questions here, I thought I was doing the best I could for them only to find out I really didn't have a clue.

9. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

You shouldn't be putting anything in the water. Don't treat for any disease unless you are certain they actually have it. There is medicated feed that you can use.

10. BearSwampChick

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    Quote:Don't feel too bad. We all make mistakes in the beginning. If you're in doubt about anything you should do for your chicks, come here and do a search or ask. Someone will be happy to help. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by