New Baby Questions - Austrolorpes/ Golden Sex Links

stormhasit

In the Brooder
11 Years
12 Years
Jan 25, 2008
Texas
The babies arrived as hatchlings on Thursday the 24th of last month so they are now 2 weeks old tomorrow.
I have 12 Australorpes (sp?) & 12 Golden Sex Links - suppose to be all pullets except for 1 of the Austrolorpes is suppose to be a rooster. The wing feathers are coming in nicely - but they are really starting to look "scraggly" as other feathers are starting to try to poke thru. They are all seeming very healthy and active.

Currently they are living in an over-sized dog crate (great dane size) with a lamp on them. For food I have them on Purina's - Start & Grow and then I also have a dish of "Chick Grit" in for them.

I have a house (6' x 8') ready for them that is totally safe from any/all predators till they are absolutely ready to go outside on their own. The weather here is being mid 80's during the day - mid to upper 60's at night.

My question: I am wanting to put them into there house and move them out of my living room this weekend... are they ready? and is the weather warm enough yet for them?

They should not go out until they are little older, more feathered and able to handle the cool nights. At two weeks, they still need 85- 90 degrees in their brooder. 60 degree nights would be too cold.

Please, please, please take away the chick grit!! They don't need it as long as they're on chick starter. I learned this the hard way and got a deserved lecture about it!
smile.png
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=50669

Last edited:
Mine will be 3 weeks on Saturday and they're going into the coop. The temps at night are still cool, but they will have a heat lamp. Plus I'm going to set their brooder (XL dog crate) inside the coop for the first week or so until they get used to the new surroundings .

Alright now - I've taken the grit out and away from them. They don't seem to mind. I really believed they needed this to help digest the food.

I will go ahead and continue setting the house up for them (sawdust shavings down, etc) and as the weather warms more in the night I will move the crate itself into the house and keep the light on them and let them come out or stay in as they choose.
Does this sound like the better plan for them?

Also - someone was telling me about some medicine I needed to look into getting to put in their water to help prevent/ treat coccidiosous (sp?). Any ideas what it is I should be putting in the water right now?
Or do I just continue with only the starter food and clear fresh water by itself?

Sorry for my ignorance and all my questions here, I thought I was doing the best I could for them only to find out I really didn't have a clue.

Quote:
Don't feel too bad. We all make mistakes in the beginning. If you're in doubt about anything you should do for your chicks, come here and do a search or ask. Someone will be happy to help.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom