new baby questions!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Ariesmom, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Ariesmom

Ariesmom Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    I am brand new to raising duckies and my rouen female had 5 ducklings last Thursday....I took them out because of snakes around here and the fact I wanted to raise them as pets but they are so imprinted on their mom I decided handling them wouldn't tame them so I gave them back to her which she happily took back. Now my other rouen female that is sitting has started to attack them. I took the babies back out and when I checked the nest of the broody mom, it's not as warm as it usually is. My questions are, are the eggs now no good? And is it even possible to raise a pet duck that has imprinted on a real mother or am I wasting my time? I would put the rest of the eggs from the other mom in my incubator but I don't know if they are any good now that they feel cool. Any help is appreciated!!!

2. Mum

Mum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    UK
    My gut instinct tells me: keep them with Mum!

3. Ariesmom

Ariesmom Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    the other female was charging them and throwing them by their heads and momma didn't seem too protective. I don't want them to get killed.

4. jessiduck

jessiduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    New York
    If you see them getting hurt then take them out and keep them inside with you.....they will get killed if they are getting picked on like that.

5. jessiduck

jessiduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    New York
    just make sure you have a heat lamp, food, and water if you bring them inside. make them as comfy as possible [​IMG]!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by