New Baby RIR's pix and ??'s ((GOOD NEWS))

Bird Hearder

Songster
11 Years
Apr 10, 2008
Salisbury, Md.
I just got the today from a local guy that hatches as a hobby, 500 at a time:) doesn't sex them, but will trade out Roo's.
Anyway we have 1 Lil one that is either Brand spankin new or not doing well. It seem's to not move much and sorta lays on it's belly with eye's closed. I can get a pic if needed for look.
Also how high should the Heat lamp be from the babies?

babies006lo7.jpg

babies005am9.jpg

I know the waterer is awfully big for the tub their in but thats all they had at TSC. it's a 1 gal I wanted the quart size
Thanks

Last edited:
Congrats on the babies they sure are sweet. Try mixing some feed with some water to make the food soft and try to hand feed the poor baby. The temp should be 95 so adjust the light accordingly. Good luck.
jumpy.gif
yippiechickie.gif
:weee:ya

Right now I'd worry about hydration. Water is critical, food is secondary. Try some sugar or better yet, electrolytes (Gatorade) in the water. Keep her(?) warm and keep an eye on her. Hopefully she'll be better in the morning. Some baby vitamins may not hurt either.

You can also call the person you got them from for more answers.

I wish you and that baby well! :|

Thanks for the fast replies.
I had a bag of Pea gravel so I rinsed some out and put in the waterer.
The lil one seems to be doing ok, I think the others bumping it around is keeping it moving and my help in some leg strength. It also was trying to drink a little and yes the others would bump it hard enough to where it's head would bobble into the water, The gravel will help with that.
Thanks again!!

It was hard only coming home with chicks. The guy had Turkeys, geese, ducks. and he's registered with the state as hatcher guy.

Last edited:
I don't think the little one is going to make it. went out this morning and it's just laying next to the water soaking wet and barely breathing.

Oh, I'm so sorry. It may just have gotten stuck in the waterer and is now chilled. Maybe dry and warm it, see if it 'recovers'. Then again, maybe that little one isn't meant to be, you had said it was acting different from the beginning. Good luck to you and keep us posted! I'm so sorry!
sad.png

Well this morning when I went out before work the poor thing was soaked and real cold to the touch with it's legs laying straight back. I diped it's beak in the water a bit, Held it for a few minutes and layed it's next to lifeless little body where it was dry and covered it with a wash cloth like a blanket.
Aftermy wifes care today, The little thing is UP and running around, Still a little wobbley but Crusin with eyes wide open. It's a little Trooper!!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom