New baby silkie chick hatched sometime this morning

Angelak

Songster
6 Years
May 4, 2013
Macon county,tn
What im wondering do I leave baby in box with momma who is still sitting on eggs or do I put baby in a brooder?Im just not sure what best way for baby to survive.

She should do fine raising them by herself. Usually a setting hen will do this for the first day or so, which gives other eggs time to hatch. Then she will take any chicks to eat and drink, and she will abandon any unhatched eggs to raise her chicks. The only thing you have to do is offer everyone in the flock starter feed, with oyster shell on the side for the other layers. She will keep them warm and protect them from other chickens if they get aggressive. Chicks can live for about 3 days after they hatch on the yolk they have stored.

So if I leave the new baby in there are u saying momma will not hatch out the other eggs?if so do I need to move baby to brooder so momna will hatch other eggs?the baby would be only 1 in brooder will it be o.k. Alone?

I think the previous poster is saying to leave the hen, baby, and eggs alone. The hen will wait a while for the other eggs to hatch and will know that to do. It's not uncommon for one to hatch before the others.

Back
Top Bottom