New baby silkie chicks!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by RooptyDoo, Oct 27, 2008.

1. RooptyDoo

RooptyDoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Illinois
    I got 8 new baby silkie chicks from a poultry auction and they are very cute. It was dark when we bought them. It started at 5:30 a.m. We got them home and noticed that they have some very odd toe nails. They are pretty good quality otherwise. They do have 5 toes just weird toenails. Some of the silkies have the weird toenails and some of them dont. I was just wondering since they have very crooked, and funny shaped, (one even points straight up) toe nails, if I ever hatch there eggs will they have weird toenails to????

2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello.
    Is it possible fro you to post picture of there feet. If you have other birds make sure you keep the new ones seperat this way if they turn up sick you will not hurt the rest of the flock.

3. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

Congratulations! I'm enjoying my 4 the surrogate banty hen hatched for me out of eggs from Mrs AK Bird Brain, hen is reluctantly sharing them w/me and they are are excited exploring the world of their converted steel wire dog crate bird cage on top a stand up freezer in the house! All the weimaraners and goldens also think its so very exciting, Bully worries when they peep;) So far the cats are ignoring the birds as I don't think they can get past the dogs to worry about them;) What colors do you have? I've got two blue or lavendar? One medium dark and one very dark. Computer wasn't cooperating to post pics this weekend! Pics, please!

4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Yes, pics would help !!!!

5. katrinag

Depending on what there toes look like I would not breed them b/c they could pass that along.

6. RooptyDoo

RooptyDoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Illinois
    Well I would post some pics but my camera's broke. [​IMG] Also when we looked at them they had bid mud like balls on there feet. Like they had been scratching and the mud just balled up on there feet and toe nails. They were so hard. [​IMG] We got it off of them but it took a while of soaking. They are all happy now because we brought them in the house and gave them a bath and blow dried them. Now they are really pretty white and really fluffy. Also they are under a heat lamp. They are spoiled already. [​IMG]

7. katrinag

How old are they? As soon as you can post pictures we can better help you. Can you borrow someone camera?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by